TBS and Adult Swim have picked up the off-network rights to Fox’s animated series The Cleveland Show for a fall 2013 launch. This marks the third syndication sale for Twentieth Television in the past week, following the deals with USA Network for Modern Family and with Oxygen for Glee. The combined license fee for Cleveland is said to be in the neighborhood of $500,000 an episode, in line with what Oxygen is paying for Glee. Meanwhile, Modern Family commanded a reported $1.4 million per episode, close to the $1.5 million that The Big Bang Theory landed from TBS in May. In fact, it was the blockbuster Big Bang deal that spurred the flurry of activity on the off-network front this summer as syndicators are looking to take advantage of the excitement in the cable marketplace following the record-breaking deal for Big Bang. As for Cleveland’s sale to TBS and sibling Adults Swim, that is hardly a surprise. TBS already has Family Guy, the show that spun off Cleveland. And it’s the only mainstream cable network to air original African American comedies, House of Payne, Meet the Browns and Are We There Yet? Meanwhile, Adult Swim’s reruns of Family Guy following its cancellation by Fox played a big role in resurrecting the animated series. Cleveland is the latest fall 2009 series to land an off-network deal during or after its freshman season, following pacts for Modern Family, Glee and CBS’ NCIS: Los Angeles. And while Modern Family and NCIS: LA have been picked up for Season 2, Cleveland as well as Glee have actually been renewed through Season 3.
'Cleveland' Sold To TBS & Adult Swim
What's Hot on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Parminder Nagra Cast In ABC Pilot ‘The Kingmakers’
- Matthew Lillard To Star In ‘Problem Child’ NBC Pilot
- ‘True Blood’s Rutina Wesley To Star In ‘Broad Squad’, More ABC Pilots Add Cast
- NBC Picks Up Sniper Miniseries ‘The Reaper’ From Weinstein Co.
- Martha Plimpton To Star In Dan Savage ABC Pilot ‘Family of the Year’
- Christina Vidal To Star In ‘The Curse Of the Fuentes Women’ Pilot, Daphne Rubin-Vega Also Cast