UPDATE: When that awful idea of a Hollywood futures exchange linked to box office looked headed for approval, it looked like Cantor Fitzgerald would sell contracts on Iron Man 2 as its first film. Well, that pic came and went without any betting, er, trading. Now that the Commodity Futures Trading Commission has allowed Media Derivatives to launch its Trend Exchange trading platform, the focus is once again on what will be the first pic traded. Well, my colleague Mike Fleming yesterday reported that the first contracts will be pegged to the performance of Takers, that Screen Gems/Sony Pictures bank robber film starring Matt Dillon and Hayden Christensen, T.I., and Paul Walker and due to be released in August.
Will This Be 1st Futures Exchange Film?
What's Hot on Deadline
Cloris Leachman On Gene Wilder & The 'Young Frankenstein' Scene That Cracked Him Up: "We Had To Do It 14 Times"
Bruce Lee-Inspired Crime Drama ‘Warrior’ From Justin Lin & 'Banshee' Co-Creator Gets Cinemax Pilot Order
Latest Box Office News
- Forget About Summer & Sequelitis: Will Fall’s Crowded Pipeline Cannibalize B.O.? – Box Office
- Focus Features’ ‘A Monster Calls’ Dials Up Christmas Weekend Release
- Broadway’s Summer Slump Continues With 6.6% Box Office Drop; ‘Paramour’ Gets Therapy
- ‘Bourne’ Back At #1 & ‘Ice Age’ Skates To $300M+, Both With China Assist; ‘Pets’ Passes $700M WW – Intl…
- ‘Southside With You' Has Solid Debut Weekend Date: Specialty Box Office
- ‘Don’t Breathe’ Screams $26M+, Gives Sony 3rd Summer Cash Cow After ‘Sausage Party’, ‘Shallows’…