UPDATE: When that awful idea of a Hollywood futures exchange linked to box office looked headed for approval, it looked like Cantor Fitzgerald would sell contracts on Iron Man 2 as its first film. Well, that pic came and went without any betting, er, trading. Now that the Commodity Futures Trading Commission has allowed Media Derivatives to launch its Trend Exchange trading platform, the focus is once again on what will be the first pic traded. Well, my colleague Mike Fleming yesterday reported that the first contracts will be pegged to the performance of Takers, that Screen Gems/Sony Pictures bank robber film starring Matt Dillon and Hayden Christensen, T.I., and Paul Walker and due to be released in August.
Will This Be 1st Futures Exchange Film?
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fate Of The Furious' Drives Five Wide Releases Off The Road With $38M+ Second Weekend - Sat. PM Update
'The Fate Of The Furious' Expected To Cross $750M Internationally For Uni Record, $1B Worldwide Next Week
'Deadpool 2', 'New Mutants' & 'Dark Phoenix' Find 2018 Dates Among Fox's Slew Of Release Changes & Additions
Latest Box Office News
- ‘Fate Of The Furious’ Drives Five Wide Releases Off The Road With $38M+ Second Weekend – Sat. PM Update
- ‘Deadpool 2’, ‘New Mutants’ & ‘Dark Phoenix’ Find 2018 Dates Among Fox’s Slew Of Release Changes…
- John Turturro On His ‘Hair’ & How Indie Filmmaking Has Changed: “The Medium-Sized Film Has Gone Away”…
- Jon Favreau Talks Movie Economics With Scarlett Johansson: “If You Can’t Make A Profit, You Don’t Get Opportunities”…
- Sony Classics Bosses Say Exhibition “Wants To Hold Strong” Against Majors’ Push For Short Windows & PVOD…
- Marisa Tomei Gives Voice To 'Citizen Jane'; Anthony Bourdain Fetes 'Jeremiah Tower' – Specialty B.O. Preview