Multiplex chains are resigned to admissions dropping by anything between 10% and 20% during this month’s soccer tournament. Numbers of tickets sold could fall to under 10 million compared with 12.5 million this time last year, according to Cinema Exhibitors’ Association figures. Scanning the release schedule, you suspect some titles are just being dumped in the popcorn penitentiaries to trigger that all-important pay-TV deal. This month’s Hollywood releases include Killers, MacGruber and When In Rome. Still, if Eng-er-land carry on playing the way they did against the USA on Sunday, it could all be over by next week. Cinema managers will be waving their rattles.
UK Exhibitors Brace For World Cup Slump
What's Hot on Deadline
Emma Stone On 'La La Land' & 'Moonlight' Best Picture Snafu: "I Was Holding The Best Actress Card The Entire Time"
Latest Box Office News
- ‘Resident Evil’ Rocks China With Record $94.3M Debut – International Box Office
- Oscar Nominee 'My Life As a Zucchini' Opens Solid; Spirit Winner 'Moonlight' Over $22M – Specialty Box Office
- Universal/Blumhouse’s ‘Get Out’ Now Grabbing A $30M+ Opening: Sunday Postmortem
- ‘Resident Evil: The Final Chapter’ Grosses Massive $70M In Two Days, $33M First Day In China
- ‘Fifty Shades Darker’ Whips Past $300M At Worldwide Box Office
- Amy Adams’ ‘Arrival’ Flies Past $100M; 3rd Oscar Best Picture Nominee To Hit Mark