While its struggle to unload Miramax Films and its library continues, Disney has just set a January 21, 2011 release date for the Miramax thriller Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark. The Troy Nixey-directed film, written by Guillermo del Toro and Matthew Robbins, stars Katie Holmes and Guy Pearce. The film is a remake of the 1973 ABC telepic. A young girl, sent to live with her father and his girlfriend, and she is stalked by a swarm of tiny, nasty monsters. The filmmakers expected that the picture would be lost in a custody battle to whatever company won the Miramax library. Despite the fact that the film will be R-rated, there is enthusiasm that it is staying with Disney. I’m told the studio quite likes the film, and while they don’t do R-rated stuff, they can make an exception on the Miramax label.
Miramax's 'Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark' Scares Up January Release Date
Trending Now on Deadline
'Black-ish', 'Grey's Anatomy', 'Castle', 'The Goldbergs', 'Modern Family', 'Once Upon A Time' & Others Get Extra Episodes At ABC
More From Fleming Jr
- Chiwetel Ejiofor Lands On 'The Martian'
- Electric Entertainment To Co-Fi Anthony Hopkins Pic 'Go With Me'
- Jacki Weaver Joins James Franco's 'Zeroville'
- Martin Scorsese & Amir Bar-Lev Truckin' On Grateful Dead Documentary Film
- TWC Acquires April Prosser Script 'Plus One'
- Brad Pitt Squirms 'Between Two Ferns': Video