Another day, another brawl between Lionsgate and its biggest shareholder Carl Icahn as he attempts a hostile takeover of the studio. Today, he gave an interview to Dow Jones newswire saying he wouldn’t rule out supporting a merger between Lionsgate and MGM but slamming the benefit to shareholders of a deal between them. “I’ve found in my investment career that it’s very difficult but not impossible to cure one problem you have by taking on a second problem,” said Icahn, noting that film libraries are under pressure due to uncertainty about the future of the DVD sales business, which is in decline. “This is analogous to a couple that is having a lot of problems paying the mortgage on a relatively small house,” Icahn added. “Instead of focusing on taking care of those problems, they’re out negotiating to buy a big mansion down the street that’s rumored to be haunted.” On another front, Icahn says Lionsgate shares are now “artificially overvalued” as the stock price rose to $7.27 today, well above his tender offer of $7 a share, because the studio was being added to the Russell 2000 index at the close of trading. Liosngate insiders insist the the studio’s June 1st reporting of its better-than-expected performance (70% higher than its initial guidance) is the reason for the higher stock price.
Lionsgate Stock Jumps As Joins Russell 2000; Icahn Slams Lionsgate-MGM Merger
What's Hot on Deadline
No Obama Bounce For DNC Day 3 Ratings As They Fall Behind RNC, 'Wayward Pines' Finale Down From 2015
Venice Film Festival: Lido To Launch Pics From Ford, Gibson, Malick & More As Awards Season Starts To Buzz - Full List
Bill O'Reilly Defends Comments That Slaves Who Built The White House Were "Well-Fed And Had Decent Lodging" - Update
Latest TV News
- PBS’ ‘The Talk’ Panel: The Issue Of Police Violence Front And Center – TCA
- Corporate Lawyers: Best Friend To Stephen Colbert Fans?
- ‘Command And Control’ Trailer: Inside One Of The Cold War’s Tensest Moments – TCA
- ‘Scandal’ POTUS Tony Goldwyn Gives American History Lesson In DNC Video
- ‘Victoria’ Producers & Cast Talk Story, Long-Term Potential & Filling That ‘Downton Abbey’ Slot…
- ‘Empire’ & Fox Beat $10M Copyright Suit From “Gangsta Pimp”s Memoir & Script