Is former Apparition head Bob Berney going to start a new distribution company at Graham King’s GK Films? My sources describe the move as 75% likely. Berney, who abruptly ditched his Apparition partner Bill Pohlad just before boarding a flight to Cannes, is in talks to join King and establish a bonafide distribution company, a story first reported by the LA Times. This comes days after Peter Schlessel agreed to become GK Films president, but the Berney talks have been going on longer. It is evidence that King and partner Tim Headington are intent on building a powerhouse company. While it was Schlessel who brought GK Films into the Sony fold, that only covers two big movies per year. Those first pictures are the Johnny Depp-Angelina Jolie drama The Tourist, and the Martin Scorsese-directed The Invention of Hugh Cabret. Berney could jump right in by handling the distribution of the William Monahan-directed London Boulevard with Colin Farrell and Keira Knightley, and the Depp-starrer The Rum Diary, based on the Hunter S. Thompson tale. Schlessel already has a strong relationship with Berney after working on deals because Apparition had its DVD output deal through Sony. Most likely, Sony would remain involved on the DVD side of the GK Films/Berney venture. Between the films that King makes, and the indies that Schlessel and Berney acquire, this could be a strong fit and a much needed new powerhouse player in the indie film distribution space.
How Would Bob Berney Fit Into GK Films?
What's Hot on Deadline
'Madea' To Push Well Past $27M As 'Jack Reacher' Takes $22M to $23M; 'Joneses' Can't Keep Up - Sun. AM Update
'Saturday Night Live' Hits Season High Ratings With Tom Hanks, Lady Gaga & More Donald Trump & Hillary Clinton
Latest TV News
- Cubs’ Game 6 NLCS Win Over Dodgers A Home Run For Fox Sports
- Dan Rather Probes ‘Trump Nation’ Week Before Election On Mark Cuban’s AXS-TV
- ‘Saturday Night Live’ Hits Season High Ratings With Tom Hanks, Lady Gaga & More Donald Trump & Hillary Clinton
- ‘Saturday Night Live’s Halloween 2016: One Trick, One Treat
- Leslie Jones Fires Back At Hackers While Tom Hanks Soothes Troubled Nation On ‘Saturday Night Live’
- ‘Saturday Night Live’ Scores Another Bingo With Trump Versus Clinton