EXCLUSIVE: Summer 2010’s films are all ending up at FX — or maybe it just seems that way. The basic cable network has acquired the TV rights to Sony’s Adam Sandler comedy Grown Ups, the highest-grossing new release last weekend with $40.5 million. Additionally, FX has acquired 20th Century Fox’s Tom Cruise/Cameron Diaz action comedy Knight And Day, which finished a distant third to returning champ Toy Story 3 and Grown Ups with $20.1 million. In fact, except for Toy Story, FX has all the other films in this weekend’s Top 5, including Sony’s Karate Kid and Fox’s The A-Team. Grown Ups and Knight and Day will be available on FX in late 2012-early 2013. I hear their license fee is a standard 12% of the domestic boxoffice, currently at $45.8 million for Grown Ups and $29.6 for Knight and Day through Monday. Grown Ups will join other Adam Sandler comedies that have done solid business on FX, including The Wedding Singer, The Waterboy, Click, as well as You Don’t Mess with the Zohan, which is yet to premiere on the network. In addition to Karate Kid, other top 2010 box-office performers on FX’s roster include Iron Man 2, Shrek Forever After, and How To Train Your Dragon as well as the upcoming The Twilight Saga: Eclipse, which is looking at a 6-day monster $150M Fourth of July opening weekend.
FX Buys 'Grown Ups' & 'Knight and Day'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Gods Of Egypt': 'Selma' Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity - Update
Thanksgiving Box Office +12% Over 2014, Boosted By 'Mockingjay 2', 'Good Dinosaur' & 'Creed' - Sunday AM Final Update
China Makes Space For ‘The Martian’ As ‘Good Dinosaur’ Snatches Eggs From No. 1 ‘Mockingjay 2’ – Intl B.O. Update
’The Danish Girl’ Bows With Style; 'Janis: Little Girl Blue' Solid In Debut; 'Carol’ Dominates Thanksgiving: Specialty B.O.
Latest TV News
- Al Markim, Who Played Astro In Pioneering ‘Tom Corbett, Space Cadet,’ Dies At 88
- ‘MasterChef Jr.’ Ratings Down, ‘Amazing Race’ Even, ‘Santa Claus’ Matches 2014
- ‘NFL On CBS’ Snags Strong Thanksgiving Day Ratings
- Marvel’s ‘Agent Carter’ Season 2 Teaser: Hayley Atwell Kicks Butt In Hollywood
- Thanksgiving NFL Matchup Draws 27.8M Viewers, 2nd-Most Ever For NBC Primetime Regular-Season Game – Update
- French Media Dedicates Coverage To Emotional Memorial Service For Victims Of Paris Attacks