UPDATED: Veteran Ed Asner is set to co-star opposite Tom Arnold in CMT’s untitled David Litt comedy pilot. Additionally, Yes, Dear alumna Liza Snyder has been cast as the female lead. The multi-camera comedy is a multi-generational show about a man (Arnold) seeking the empty nest and his family who is unwilling to let him have it. Asner will play the guy’s outspoken and gruff dad who believes he’s always right and has recently began dating after separating from his wife of forty seven years. In the 2003 version of the project, which had a brief run on ABC as Regular Joe, the role was played by Judd Hirsch. Snyder will play Joe’s sharp, funny and attractive wife, described as “a perennial mother who’s very proud of the job she’s done raising two almost grown kids who haven’t turned out to be serial killers.” In the 2003 incarnation, Joe was a widower. Asner, who recently voiced the central character in Up, holds the record for most Emmy wins, 7, by a male performer. Asner, who also is in final negotiations to join the feature The Home, is repped by Greene & Assoc. and manager Perry Zimel. Snyder is with APA and manager Susan Smith.
Ed Asner Cast in CMT's Tom Arnold Comedy
What's Hot on Deadline
M Night Shyamalan Unveils 'Glass': 'Unbreakable' & 'Split' Sequel To Star Bruce Willis, Samuel L Jackson, James McAvoy
Bravo Unveils Unscripted Slate With 6 New & 18 Returning Series; More 'Real Housewives' & 'Vanderpump Rules'
'Timeless' EP Eric Kripke On The Moment He Realized He Was Telling A James Bond Story — AwardsLine Screening Series
Latest TV News
- Netflix Commissions Second German Production ‘Dogs Of Berlin’
- ‘The President Show’ Inaugurates New Term On Comedy Central
- James Corden Can’t Escape Kurt Russell In Funny ‘Late Late Show’ Bit
- ‘Z: The Beginning Of Everything’ Renewed For Season 2 By Amazon
- Sean Hannity Could Leave Fox News If Murdochs Don’t Back Besieged Co-Prez Bill Shine
- ‘Dear White People’ Review: TV Series Based Movie Is Funny & Moving