After The Karate Kid‘s opening weekend gross of $56 million blew past its $40 million budget, a sequel to the Jaden Smith-Jackie Chan-starrer seemed inevitable. Sure enough, agency sources tell me that Sony’s Columbia Pictures execs are meeting with writers to pitch their ideas on where to take the second installment. This will mean shortly that Will Smith won’t be the only man in the Smith household making sequels.
Sony Pics High-Kicking 'Karate Kid' Sequel
What's Hot on Deadline
Bruce Lee-Inspired Crime Drama ‘Warrior’ From Justin Lin & 'Banshee' Co-Creator Gets Cinemax Pilot Order
Cristina Ferrare Out, Replaced By Debbie Matenopoulos As Co-Host Of Hallmark Channel's 'Home & Family'
Latest Box Office News
- $4.3 Billion Summer, +3% From 2015, To Go Out With A Whimper Over Labor Day – Box Office Preview
- Forget About Summer & Sequelitis: Will Fall’s Crowded Pipeline Cannibalize B.O.? – Box Office
- Focus Features’ ‘A Monster Calls’ Dials Up Christmas Weekend Release
- Broadway’s Summer Slump Continues With 6.6% Box Office Drop; ‘Paramour’ Gets Therapy
- ‘Bourne’ Back At #1 & ‘Ice Age’ Skates To $300M+, Both With China Assist; ‘Pets’ Passes $700M WW – Intl…
- ‘Southside With You' Has Solid Debut Weekend Date: Specialty Box Office