More and more, I believe that, with only a few exceptions, a studio’s choice of actress often makes little difference in what a film will do at the box office. [NF: What an effing neanderthal statement, Mike!] That is giving opportunities for unknown actresses to get great parts as the majors and minors look beyond the usual suspects to discover new talent. Latest evidence comes in the answer to this question about the Warner Bros remake of Arthur starring Russell Brand. Guess who’s getting caught between the moon and New York City, playing the lead role that once gave Liza Minnelli’s career such a big boost? I hear that after a lengthy search, Warners is in discussions with Greta Gerwig. After a slow build in indie films, she just starred with Ben Stiller in the Noah Baumbach-directed Greenberg. Gerwig is in talks to play the charismatic shoplifter who tempts a lovable drunk — and risking his trust fund–to take a chance on a woman who makes him feel alive. The remake is being directed by Jason Winer (best known for ABC’s Modern Family) and produced by Larry Brezner, Kevin McCormick and Benderspink’s Chris Bender. UTA reps Gerwig.
Warners Finds Its New Liza In 'Arthur' Redo
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Holy Macau…Casino Short Film Lineup: Scorsese, De Niro, DiCaprio, Pitt
- Venice Spotlight: Ami Canaan Mann On 'Jackie & Ryan'
- Not So Fast On 'Hey Ho, Let's Go'
- 'Sons Of Anarchy's Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie's Choice For King Arthur
- Dark Day For Civility In Trade Journalism
- Steve Carell Reunites With Julianne Moore In 'Freeheld'