More and more, I believe that, with only a few exceptions, a studio’s choice of actress often makes little difference in what a film will do at the box office. [NF: What an effing neanderthal statement, Mike!] That is giving opportunities for unknown actresses to get great parts as the majors and minors look beyond the usual suspects to discover new talent. Latest evidence comes in the answer to this question about the Warner Bros remake of Arthur starring Russell Brand. Guess who’s getting caught between the moon and New York City, playing the lead role that once gave Liza Minnelli’s career such a big boost? I hear that after a lengthy search, Warners is in discussions with Greta Gerwig. After a slow build in indie films, she just starred with Ben Stiller in the Noah Baumbach-directed Greenberg. Gerwig is in talks to play the charismatic shoplifter who tempts a lovable drunk — and risking his trust fund–to take a chance on a woman who makes him feel alive. The remake is being directed by Jason Winer (best known for ABC’s Modern Family) and produced by Larry Brezner, Kevin McCormick and Benderspink’s Chris Bender. UTA reps Gerwig.
Warners Finds Its New Liza In 'Arthur' Redo
What's Hot on Deadline
'Avengers: Infinity War' Already The Best-Selling Superhero Movie In Advance Ticket Sales, Beating 'Black Panther'
Ellen Barkin Says "Never Get Into An Elevator Alone With Terry Gilliam" After His Criticism Of #MeToo Movement
Latest TV News
- ‘SNL’: Anderson Cooper Addresses White House Firings; John Goodman & Fred Armisen Make Surprise Visits
- ‘Will & Grace’ Cast React To Season 3 Renewal; Talk Favorite Guest Stars
- ‘Will & Grace’ Revival Renewed For Season 3 By NBC, Season 2 Expanded
- ‘Harry & Meghan’ Teaser: First Look At The Lifetime Royal Romance
- ‘Scandal’ Wraps Production Of Series Finale In A Blaze Of Social-Media Glory
- NCAA Nabs Friday’s Top Spot, ‘MasterChef Junior’ Strong, ‘Taken’ Grabs Season High Crowd