More and more, I believe that, with only a few exceptions, a studio’s choice of actress often makes little difference in what a film will do at the box office. [NF: What an effing neanderthal statement, Mike!] That is giving opportunities for unknown actresses to get great parts as the majors and minors look beyond the usual suspects to discover new talent. Latest evidence comes in the answer to this question about the Warner Bros remake of Arthur starring Russell Brand. Guess who’s getting caught between the moon and New York City, playing the lead role that once gave Liza Minnelli’s career such a big boost? I hear that after a lengthy search, Warners is in discussions with Greta Gerwig. After a slow build in indie films, she just starred with Ben Stiller in the Noah Baumbach-directed Greenberg. Gerwig is in talks to play the charismatic shoplifter who tempts a lovable drunk — and risking his trust fund–to take a chance on a woman who makes him feel alive. The remake is being directed by Jason Winer (best known for ABC’s Modern Family) and produced by Larry Brezner, Kevin McCormick and Benderspink’s Chris Bender. UTA reps Gerwig.
Warners Finds Its New Liza In 'Arthur' Redo
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fate Of The Furious' Drives Five Wide Releases Off The Road With $38M+ Second Weekend - Sat. PM Update
'The Fate Of The Furious' Expected To Cross $750M Internationally For Uni Record, $1B Worldwide Next Week
'Gilbert' Subject Gilbert Gottfried On Seeing His Personal Life Portrayed On Screen: "This Could Be What Hell Is"
Latest TV News
- Erin Moran Dies: ‘Happy Days’ Actress Was 56
- New Caitlyn Jenner Interview Brings ’20/20′ Ratings Down, ‘Dateline’ Rises
- Donald Trump Plans Rally For Night Of White House Correspondents’ Dinner
- ‘Rise’, ‘For God And Country’ Get Closer To NBC Series Pickups With Staffing Offers
- ‘Feud’: Charles And Diana Season 2 “Begins With Divorce Papers,” Says EP Ryan Murphy
- Bill Maher Tells Donald Trump To Forget Mars, “Make Earth Great Again”