EXCLUSIVE: I’ve just learned that Michael Joe, Universal Pictures’ much valued EVP, has left the studio after 15 years and is jumping to Ryan Kavanaugh’s Relativity in a senior position. Almost everyone important at Universal is in Cannes for Robin Hood so I can’t gauge reaction. But Joe has been the company’s chief strategy officer, integrally involved in the studio’s business development and strategic planning. While continuing to oversee business development, he also directed the company’s digital initiatives, including wireless, interactive games and d-cinema. Plus, he engineered the company’s entry into new markets and technologies and represented Universal on anti-piracy, public policy and MPAA matters. He also managed Universal’s advanced technology group. Joe helped set up Relativity’s $1 billion movie co-financing deal with Universal back in 2008. That’s when Relativity Capital, the partnership between Ryan Kavanaugh’s West Hollywood-based Relativity Media and the New York hedge fund Elliott Associates, was supposed to back at least 75% of Universal’s movies through 2011 — or about 45 films. At the time, Joe was quoted as saying on behalf of Uni, “We always look to manage risk and volatility. A deal like this allows us to do that while keeping distribution rights to the movies worldwide.” It’s a great hire for Relativity, and Kavanaugh.
SHOCKER: Michael Joe Leaves Universal For Relativity
What's Hot on Deadline
Keaton Jones Facebook Video Gone After Mom's Confederate Flag Photos Surface: Is Hollywood Still "KeatonStrong"?
Golden Globes Nominations: 'The Shape Of Water' & 'The Post' Tops In Film, 'Big Little Lies' Leads TV
Latest TV News
- ‘Twin Peaks’: Kyle MacLachlan Responds To Landing Golden Globe Nomination 26 Years After Winning For…
- Fareed Zakaria To Conan: Donald Trump Has Taken Over Media
- Jimmy Kimmel And Billy Blast Congress For Holding CHIP Hostage In Bid To Seal Billionaire Tax Cuts
- Stephen Colbert To Would-Be Times Square Bomber: “Seriously?”
- Netflix Inks Int’l Distribution Deal For NBC's 'Good Girls': Inside New Model That Partners the SVOD Giant With…
- Steve Edwards Out At ‘Good Day LA’ After 20-Plus Years