As The World Turns star Helen Wagner, who for 54 years played matriarch Nancy Hughes on the soap opera, died yesterday. She was 91. Wagner, who spoke the first words on As The World Turns when the soap premiered on April 2, 1956, holds the Guinness world record for playing the same role on television for the longest amount of time. In 2004, Wagner was awarded a lifetime achievement award from the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences. Wagner was married to Broadway producer Robert Willey for 55 years until Willey’s death last May.
R.I.P. Helen Wagner
What's Hot on Deadline
Quentin Tarantino Steals The Show At Sony's Slick Presentation Of A Pretty Dark Slate And Very Special Dog - CinemaCon
Quentin Tarantino & Leonardo DiCaprio Make Surprise Appearance At CinemaCon To Talk 'Once Upon A Time In Hollywood'
Latest TV News
- ‘Excessive Force,’ Carl Franklin To Direct With Ice Cube Starring, Is Latest On CubeVision Slate
- Sinclair Prepares To Sell 23 TV Stations In Search Of Tribune Deal OK
- WME Signs Anthony Byrne; ‘In Darkness’ Helmer Set For ‘Peaky Blinders’ Season 5
- ‘The Path’ Canceled After 3 Seasons On Hulu
- Study Finds Diversity In Television On The Rise, But Not Representative Of American Population
- ‘Moonbase 8’ Comedy From Fred Armisen, Tim Heidecker, Jonathan Krisel & John C. Reilly In Works By A24