As The World Turns star Helen Wagner, who for 54 years played matriarch Nancy Hughes on the soap opera, died yesterday. She was 91. Wagner, who spoke the first words on As The World Turns when the soap premiered on April 2, 1956, holds the Guinness world record for playing the same role on television for the longest amount of time. In 2004, Wagner was awarded a lifetime achievement award from the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences. Wagner was married to Broadway producer Robert Willey for 55 years until Willey’s death last May.
R.I.P. Helen Wagner
What's Hot on Deadline
DC Digital Service To Launch With 'Titans' Series From Greg Berlanti & Akiva Goldsman And 'Young Justice: Outsiders'
Latest TV News
- ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ Review: Elisabeth Moss-Led Adaptation Is Gripping, Chilling
- ‘Prison Break’ Revival Kills Off Major Character
- Stephen Colbert Likens Sean Spicer’s Press Briefings To Soap Opera ‘The Bold And The Babbling’
- Mark Consuelos Joins ‘Riverdale’ For Season 2; ‘Suits’ Casts Dulé Hill
- WGA Contract Talks Over For The Day, Will Resume Wednesday – Update
- Fox News Strike Back At “Copycat” Racial Discrimination Suits From Staff – Update