As The World Turns star Helen Wagner, who for 54 years played matriarch Nancy Hughes on the soap opera, died yesterday. She was 91. Wagner, who spoke the first words on As The World Turns when the soap premiered on April 2, 1956, holds the Guinness world record for playing the same role on television for the longest amount of time. In 2004, Wagner was awarded a lifetime achievement award from the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences. Wagner was married to Broadway producer Robert Willey for 55 years until Willey’s death last May.
R.I.P. Helen Wagner
What's Hot on Deadline
Venice Film Festival Sets Lido Launch For Aronofsky, Clooney, Del Toro, Payne & More As Awards Buzz Begins - Full List
Netflix 'Triple Frontier' Eyes August Start; Mark Wahlberg, Charlie Hunnam, Garrett Hedlund, Pedro Pascal In Talks
James Franco & Maggie Gyllenhaal 1970s Porn HBO Series 'The Deuce': It's Not Misogyny, It's Business - TCA
Latest TV News
- ‘NCIS’: Maria Bello Joins Veteran CBS Drama As Series Regular
- Katy Perry To Host MTV Video Music Awards
- ‘The Arrangement’: Garcelle Beauvais Set To Recur In Season 2 On E!
- Donald Trump Gives Thumbs Up As ‘Fox & Friends’ & New York Times Make Nice
- Amy Sedaris Explains ‘At Home’ To Bemused TV Critics At TCA
- ‘Grey’s Anatomy’: Krista Vernoff Returning As Co-Showrunner For Season 14