I wrote the backstory here, The Improbable Rise of ‘Garza’. Now NBC’s legal drama pilot Garza, starring Jimmy Smits and produced by Conan O’Brien’s production company, is set to complete its dream “dark horse” run with a series pickup tomorrow. The network is expected to officially announce the pickups of Garza and another new legal drama, David E. Kelley’s Kindreds, which is being renamed. With Kindreds slated for midseason, Garza might launch in the fall. And with both shows picked up, NBC’s third legal drama pilot, Rex Is Not Your Lawyer, is not going forward. The Cape still has a good shot at a pickup. Garza’s pilot will be overhauled, with new senior-level producer(s) brought in to work with creator John Eisendrath. The pilot directed by Terry George will be reshot. I hear George had to cope with the death of his mother only days before having to start work on the pilot. What remains intact is Smits in the lead, which proved to be the project’s strongest weapon. Smits tested really well and was looking to front his own series as opposed to joining another one, like Law & Order: LA, which NBC seriously considered offering him.
PRIMETIME PILOT PANIC: NBC To Pick Up Conan O'Brien's Pilot 'Garza' To Series
What's Hot on Deadline
Arnold Schwarzenegger To Trump: "Send An Unequivocal Message That You Won't Stand For Hate And Racism"
After Horrific Summer At Box Office, 'It' Will Bring Life To Fall Marketplace With Potential $60M Opening
Latest TV News
- BBC Commissions New Dramas From ‘Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy’ Scribe & ‘Poldark’ Producer
- Arnold Schwarzenegger To Trump: “Send An Unequivocal Message That You Won’t Stand For Hate And Racism”
- ‘SNL’: Tina Fey Endorses Anti-Hate Cake; Jimmy Fallon, Seth Meyers Do Forefathers
- Barcelona Terrorist Attack: Police Thwart Second Plot After 13 Killed, 100+ Hurt In City – Update
- ‘For the People’ Creator Paul William Davies Inks Overall Deal With ABC Studios
- ‘The Tick’ Review: Amazon’s First Superhero Series Works Best Weird