There has been a lot of chatter in the past 24 hours over Garza, the NBC legal drama starring Jimmy Smits and produced by Conan O’Brien’s production company, which now I hear is inching closer to a midseason order with significant retooling attached. The pilot has gone through a lot of ups-and-downs, starting with its almost improbable pickup to pilot days after the O’Brien’s acrimonious divorce from NBC. It was the third legal drama pilot to be picked up in a crowded field that already included David E. Kelley’s Kindreds and Rex Is Not Your Lawyer. But John Eisendrath’s script was one of the best liked at the network and the pilot’s chances went further up when Jimmy Smits signed on as the lead. Then it was radio silence, with the completed pilot getting very little early buzz until Smits started testing very well. But NBC executives have remained deeply divided on the pilot, which is said to have the support of NBC Uni topper Jeff Zucker and the network’s marketing team. After an idea to possibly attach Smits to the new Law & Order series didn’t get a lot of traction, the focus moved back on trying to find a way to keep the concept of Garza and Smits while reworking the project. It must be karma — O’Brien and NBC destined to stay together.
NBC Update: The Improbable Rise of 'Garza'
What's Hot on Deadline
Ellen Pompeo On New 'Grey's Anatomy' Deal, The Show's End Game & Legacy And Her Post-'Grey's' Future - Q&A
Sundance Names Jada Pinkett Smith, Octavia Spencer & Chaz Ebert To Jury; Jason Mantzoukas To Host Awards Show
Ellen Pompeo Inks New 2-Year Deal For 'Grey's Anatomy', Paving Way For Seasons 15 & 16, Adds Producing Duties
‘70s Screen Icon Pam Grier Speaks On Sex Harassment & Her Biopic With Jay Pharoah Playing Richard Pryor
Latest TV News
- Gina Rodriguez Outfitted To Host Costume Designers Guild Awards; Career Honorees Set
- ‘Strange Angel’: Rupert Friend Cast In CBS All Access Drama Series
- ‘Power’ Creator Courtney Kemp’s End Of Episode Adds Ex-UCP Exec As Development Head
- Katie Couric To Co-Host Olympics Opening Ceremony In PyeongChang
- Jeff Flake Torches Trump’s Promised “Fake News” Awards As Red-Carpet Address On Senate Floor
- ‘Black Lightning’ Off To Solid Ratings Start