EXCLUSIVE: One of the Law & Order franchise signature writer-producers, Rene Balcer, has joined the new spinoff series, Law & Order: Los Angeles. Balcer will serve as showrunner on Dick Wolf’s new series and will executive produce alongside the project’s writer Blake Masters, Wolf and Peter Jankowski. Balcer wrote an episode in the first season of the flagship Law & Order and joined the series in Season 2. He rose to executive producer before leaving in 2001 to executive produce and showrun spinoff L&O: Criminal Intent, which he developed with creator Wolf. Balcer was at L&O:CI for five seasons. In March 2007, he returned to the mothership series as executive producer and head writer and has served as showrunner for the past three seasons. With the future of that series in limbo after NBC cancelled it, CAA-repped Balcer is moving to the newest addition in the Law & Order franchise. (The original L&O is expected to be shopped to TNT, but it’s unclear if a deal could be made there for original episodes.)
'L&O' Veteran Rene Balcer To Run 'LOLA'
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Raycom Media TV Stations Blacked Out By DirecTV In Carriage Dispute
- ABC Buys Medical Thriller From Janine Sherman Barrois & Aaron Kaplan
- Bob Cooper, EOne Prep Post-Apocalyptic Event Series With Book Acquisition
- Fox Buys Detective Drama Based On Australian Miniseries 'Jack Irish'
- 'The Greatest American Hero' Gets Fox Remake With Phil Lord & Chris Miller