EXCLUSIVE: One of the Law & Order franchise signature writer-producers, Rene Balcer, has joined the new spinoff series, Law & Order: Los Angeles. Balcer will serve as showrunner on Dick Wolf’s new series and will executive produce alongside the project’s writer Blake Masters, Wolf and Peter Jankowski. Balcer wrote an episode in the first season of the flagship Law & Order and joined the series in Season 2. He rose to executive producer before leaving in 2001 to executive produce and showrun spinoff L&O: Criminal Intent, which he developed with creator Wolf. Balcer was at L&O:CI for five seasons. In March 2007, he returned to the mothership series as executive producer and head writer and has served as showrunner for the past three seasons. With the future of that series in limbo after NBC cancelled it, CAA-repped Balcer is moving to the newest addition in the Law & Order franchise. (The original L&O is expected to be shopped to TNT, but it’s unclear if a deal could be made there for original episodes.)
'L&O' Veteran Rene Balcer To Run 'LOLA'
What's Hot on Deadline
'The Last Jedi' Now Opening To $220M: How Disney Continues To Win With The 'Star Wars' Franchise - Update
'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Skyrockets To $230M Overseas, $450M Global Bow - International Box Office
Harvey Weinstein Again Denies Blackballing Actresses: Says He Wanted Ashley Judd For 'Good Will Hunting'
Latest TV News
- Ex-Fox News Analyst Tamara Holder Blasts Rupert Murdoch As “Liar Or Delusional”, Says “Lives Destroyed”
- NFL Anthem Protests Week 15 – A Game Of Chicken Raises The League’s Stakes
- MSNBC Confirms 1999 Separation Payment To Female Staffer Following Chris Matthews’ Inappropriate Jokes
- ‘Saturday Night Live’ Ratings Steady With Host Kevin Hart, Foo Fighters & Trump
- Kevin Hart Brings Holiday Cheer & Beleaguered Captain Shadow To ‘SNL’
- ‘SNL’ Weekend Update Shames Hollywood Gropers, Banishes Omarosa And Welcomes Sleazy Boat Guy