EXCLUSIVE: One of the Law & Order franchise signature writer-producers, Rene Balcer, has joined the new spinoff series, Law & Order: Los Angeles. Balcer will serve as showrunner on Dick Wolf’s new series and will executive produce alongside the project’s writer Blake Masters, Wolf and Peter Jankowski. Balcer wrote an episode in the first season of the flagship Law & Order and joined the series in Season 2. He rose to executive producer before leaving in 2001 to executive produce and showrun spinoff L&O: Criminal Intent, which he developed with creator Wolf. Balcer was at L&O:CI for five seasons. In March 2007, he returned to the mothership series as executive producer and head writer and has served as showrunner for the past three seasons. With the future of that series in limbo after NBC cancelled it, CAA-repped Balcer is moving to the newest addition in the Law & Order franchise. (The original L&O is expected to be shopped to TNT, but it’s unclear if a deal could be made there for original episodes.)
'L&O' Veteran Rene Balcer To Run 'LOLA'
What's Hot on Deadline
'The Good Place's Jameela Jamil Blames Porn And Music Videos For Consent Issues Following Aziz Ansari Allegations
Two More Sexual Misconduct Allegations Against Stunt Coordinator Joel Kramer Include One Involving 10th Grade Girl
Eliza Dushku's Former Agent & A Friend Confirm Her Sexual Assault Story On 'True Lies' Set: "Nobody Really Did Anything"
Aziz Ansari Allegations Open New Chapter in #MeToo Movement, Ansari Responds "I Took Her Words to Heart"
‘70s Screen Icon Pam Grier Speaks On Sex Harassment & Her Biopic With Jay Pharoah Playing Richard Pryor
Sundance Names Jada Pinkett Smith, Octavia Spencer & Chaz Ebert To Jury; Jason Mantzoukas To Host Awards Show
Arnold Schwarzenegger "Shocked" About Eliza Dushku's 'True Lies' Allegations, Calls Her "So Courageous"
Latest TV News
- Rebecca Eaton Explains How To Get BBC To Tackle Quintessentially American ‘Little Women’ – TCA
- ‘The Shannara Chronicles’ Canceled After Two Seasons
- ‘The Assassination Of Gianni Versace’ Review: Tangled Tale Falls Out Of Fashion
- Media Content Wars Will Require Both Scale And Reach; “A Brand Only Gets You So Far” — NATPE
- Ken Kwapis To Produce & Direct Series Adaptation Of ‘Every Second Counts’ Based On Book
- Ruth Wilson To Play Her Grandmother In Masterpiece’s ‘Mrs Wilson’ For PBS, BBC