EXCLUSIVE: One of the Law & Order franchise signature writer-producers, Rene Balcer, has joined the new spinoff series, Law & Order: Los Angeles. Balcer will serve as showrunner on Dick Wolf’s new series and will executive produce alongside the project’s writer Blake Masters, Wolf and Peter Jankowski. Balcer wrote an episode in the first season of the flagship Law & Order and joined the series in Season 2. He rose to executive producer before leaving in 2001 to executive produce and showrun spinoff L&O: Criminal Intent, which he developed with creator Wolf. Balcer was at L&O:CI for five seasons. In March 2007, he returned to the mothership series as executive producer and head writer and has served as showrunner for the past three seasons. With the future of that series in limbo after NBC cancelled it, CAA-repped Balcer is moving to the newest addition in the Law & Order franchise. (The original L&O is expected to be shopped to TNT, but it’s unclear if a deal could be made there for original episodes.)
'L&O' Veteran Rene Balcer To Run 'LOLA'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Tomorrowland' Nosing Out 'Pitch Perfect' For No. 1; 'Mad Max' Holds Strong; 'Ultron' To Cross $400M - Box Office Saturday
Hot Cannes 'Circle' Package Imperiled As Alicia Vikander In Talks To Star In 'Assassin's Creed', New 'Bourne' Film
TLC "Deeply Saddened" As It Pulls All Episodes of '19 Kids And Counting' In Wake Of Child Molestation Allegations - Update
'Jurassic World' Tracking Like 'Man Of Steel' - But How Many $100M+ Openings After That In Summer 2015?
Latest TV News
- Marty Pasetta Dies: Longtime Director Of Academy Awards Telecasts Was 82
- ‘X-Factor’ Producers Hit With $2M Lawsuit By Contestant; Says Performance Was “Altered”
- Showrunner Jennie Snyder Urman On Almost Passing On ‘Jane The Virgin’, Pace, Title Change & How Will It End
- ‘Fuller’ Brush-Off: Olsens Won’t Head Home For ‘Full House’ Sequel
- Melissa McCarthy Staying At CAA
- UP Orders ‘Last Hope With Troy Dunn’ To Series