UPDATED EXCLUSIVE: CBS’s comedy pilot Team Spitz is switching a team member at the last minute. Kurtwood Smith has been cast in the pilot, replacing Bob Odenkirk. Sony TV, which produces the show, will do quick reshoots on the already completed pilot with Smith before submitting it to CBS. I hear the switcheroo was made after Team Spitz, starring Rob Riggle as the bombastic new basketball coach at an upscale private school, tested very well but Odenkirk’s character, the school’s principal written as a complete jerk and a sanctimonious bureaucrat, didn’t do well. The pilot’s producers decided to tweak the character and reached out to Odenkirk. However, he was recovering from surgery and was available for voiceover but couldn’t do reshoots, so the role ended up being recast. Smith will be a guest star in the pilot as he is a regular on another CBS comedy pilot, Hitched. Team Spitz co-star Sarah Chalke also is a guest star as she is in second position to ABC’s comedy pilot Freshman, whose buzz started picking up after the reshoots commissioned by the network as ABC is reportedly happy with the new cut.
Kurtwood Smith In For Bob Odenkirk On The CBS Comedy Pilot 'Team Spitz'
What's Hot on Deadline
Matt Groening Netflix Animated Comedy A Go With 20-Episode Order, Abbi Jacobson, Nat Faxon & Eric Andre Lead Voice Cast
'The Expendables 4' Muscles Up: Sylvester Stallone Action Pic & 'Rambo 5' Sell To China In Eight-Figure Co-Fi Deal
Billboard Music Awards Ratings Hit Low, 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine' Finale Rises, NBA Up With Warriors' Win
Latest TV News
- ‘SEAL Team’: John Glenn Joins CBS Series As New Showrunner, Two EPs Depart
- ‘The Middle’ Co-Creator On The “Bittersweet” Series Finale, Devoted Fans And Possible 10-Year Reboot
- ‘The Middle’ Series Finale: ABC’s Fond Farewell To America’s Beloved TV Family Is One “Heck Of A Ride”…
- Parents of Slain Teen Trayvon Martin Say The Weinstein Co. Owes Them $150,000
- ‘Roseanne’ Finale: EP Bruce Helford On One Topic They Didn’t Get To Tackle, Season 2 Themes & Who May…
- ‘Rectify’ Star Aden Young Inks With ICM Partners