UPDATED EXCLUSIVE: CBS’s comedy pilot Team Spitz is switching a team member at the last minute. Kurtwood Smith has been cast in the pilot, replacing Bob Odenkirk. Sony TV, which produces the show, will do quick reshoots on the already completed pilot with Smith before submitting it to CBS. I hear the switcheroo was made after Team Spitz, starring Rob Riggle as the bombastic new basketball coach at an upscale private school, tested very well but Odenkirk’s character, the school’s principal written as a complete jerk and a sanctimonious bureaucrat, didn’t do well. The pilot’s producers decided to tweak the character and reached out to Odenkirk. However, he was recovering from surgery and was available for voiceover but couldn’t do reshoots, so the role ended up being recast. Smith will be a guest star in the pilot as he is a regular on another CBS comedy pilot, Hitched. Team Spitz co-star Sarah Chalke also is a guest star as she is in second position to ABC’s comedy pilot Freshman, whose buzz started picking up after the reshoots commissioned by the network as ABC is reportedly happy with the new cut.
Kurtwood Smith In For Bob Odenkirk On The CBS Comedy Pilot 'Team Spitz'
What's Hot on Deadline
Hillary Clinton Vs. Donald Trump III: “Bad Hombres,” “Nasty Woman” "Rigged" Emmys & Celebrity Reactions
Latest TV News
- Stephen Colbert’s Live Post-Debate ‘Late Show’ Tops Household Ratings But Edged By Jimmy Kimmel In Demo
- The Onion Sets Election Retrospective Special On Fusion
- ‘Rocky Horror Picture Show’ EP Lou Adler On Laverne Cox & Why The TV Version Isn’t Live
- FNC Snags Largest Crowd, NBC Takes News Demo, As Final Debate Hits 65M Viewers And Counting – Update
- Donald Trump Promises To Accept Election Results On November 8 – If He Wins
- NBC Buys ‘Last Hope’ Drama From Lee Child, Andrew Dettmann & EuropaCorp