UPDATED EXCLUSIVE: CBS’s comedy pilot Team Spitz is switching a team member at the last minute. Kurtwood Smith has been cast in the pilot, replacing Bob Odenkirk. Sony TV, which produces the show, will do quick reshoots on the already completed pilot with Smith before submitting it to CBS. I hear the switcheroo was made after Team Spitz, starring Rob Riggle as the bombastic new basketball coach at an upscale private school, tested very well but Odenkirk’s character, the school’s principal written as a complete jerk and a sanctimonious bureaucrat, didn’t do well. The pilot’s producers decided to tweak the character and reached out to Odenkirk. However, he was recovering from surgery and was available for voiceover but couldn’t do reshoots, so the role ended up being recast. Smith will be a guest star in the pilot as he is a regular on another CBS comedy pilot, Hitched. Team Spitz co-star Sarah Chalke also is a guest star as she is in second position to ABC’s comedy pilot Freshman, whose buzz started picking up after the reshoots commissioned by the network as ABC is reportedly happy with the new cut.
Kurtwood Smith In For Bob Odenkirk On The CBS Comedy Pilot 'Team Spitz'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Latin Lover' Seduces, 'The Circle' Broken By D+ CinemaScore, 'Baahubali 2' Mighty As 'Furious' Leads Listless Weekend
'Reservoir Dogs' Reunion: Quentin Tarantino Recalls When He "Knew Making Movies Was Going To Work Out" — Tribeca
Director Jim Sheridan's Next: 'H-Block' Coming Together With Cillian Murphy, Jamie Dornan, Pierce Brosnan
Latest TV News
- Amazon & Netflix Lead Daytime Creative Arts Emmy Awards Winners- Full List
- ‘Real Time’: Elizabeth Warren Ignores Bill Maher’s “Pocahontas” Joke
- WGA & AMPTP Talks To Resume On Sunday As Contract Deadline Looms
- PILOTS 2017: Early Pre-Screenings Buzz
- ‘Orange Is The New Black’: Hacker Says He Stole New Season, Demands Ransom From Netflix
- ABC Buys Time Loop Mystery ‘Echo Point’ From ‘Good Neighbor’ Scribe & Safehouse