When Alice in Wonderland this week became only the sixth film to cross the $1 billion gross mark, it certainly bolstered Johnny Depp’s case for being the biggest movie star in the world. He’s the only guy who has reached the $1 billion mark with two films. The other, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest, is the fourth highest grossing film ever. While Will Smith usually leads the world’s biggest star discussion, he has yet to reach the $1 billion mark. Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt haven’t hit it either. Leonardo DiCaprio hit it once with Titanic, but you could say the boat was the star in that enterprise. Same with Orlando Bloom, who finds himself on the list twice with Lord of the Rings: Return of the King and Pirates, but it would be hard to argue he’s the reason. In fact, most of the billion dollar films are not star-driven spectacles, but Depp’s two entries certainly were. James Cameron is the only director to hit the billion dollar mark twice. He did it with Avatar and Titanic, the top grossing films of all time.
Johnny Depp: Only Star To Hit The Billion Dollar Gross Mark Twice
Trending Now on Deadline
'Black-ish', 'Grey's Anatomy', 'Castle', 'The Goldbergs', 'Modern Family', 'Once Upon A Time' & Others Get Extra Episodes At ABC
More From Fleming Jr
- Warner Bros To Remake 'Who Am I'; Pic Is German Box Office Sensation
- Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor Joining DC Comics Pic 'Suicide Squad'?
- 'Act Of Killing' Helmer Joshua Oppenheimer Signs With UTA
- Sebastian Stan Joins 'The Martian' And 'Ricki And The Flash'
- Chiwetel Ejiofor Lands On 'The Martian'
- Electric Entertainment To Co-Fi Anthony Hopkins Pic 'Go With Me'