When Alice in Wonderland this week became only the sixth film to cross the $1 billion gross mark, it certainly bolstered Johnny Depp’s case for being the biggest movie star in the world. He’s the only guy who has reached the $1 billion mark with two films. The other, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest, is the fourth highest grossing film ever. While Will Smith usually leads the world’s biggest star discussion, he has yet to reach the $1 billion mark. Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt haven’t hit it either. Leonardo DiCaprio hit it once with Titanic, but you could say the boat was the star in that enterprise. Same with Orlando Bloom, who finds himself on the list twice with Lord of the Rings: Return of the King and Pirates, but it would be hard to argue he’s the reason. In fact, most of the billion dollar films are not star-driven spectacles, but Depp’s two entries certainly were. James Cameron is the only director to hit the billion dollar mark twice. He did it with Avatar and Titanic, the top grossing films of all time.
Johnny Depp: Only Star To Hit The Billion Dollar Gross Mark Twice
What's Hot on Deadline
Cloris Leachman On Gene Wilder & The 'Young Frankenstein' Scene That Cracked Him Up: "We Had To Do It 14 Times"
Bruce Lee-Inspired Crime Drama ‘Warrior’ From Justin Lin & 'Banshee' Co-Creator Gets Cinemax Pilot Order
Latest Box Office News
- Forget About Summer & Sequelitis: Will Fall’s Crowded Pipeline Cannibalize B.O.? – Box Office
- Focus Features’ ‘A Monster Calls’ Dials Up Christmas Weekend Release
- Broadway’s Summer Slump Continues With 6.6% Box Office Drop; ‘Paramour’ Gets Therapy
- ‘Bourne’ Back At #1 & ‘Ice Age’ Skates To $300M+, Both With China Assist; ‘Pets’ Passes $700M WW – Intl…
- ‘Southside With You' Has Solid Debut Weekend Date: Specialty Box Office
- ‘Don’t Breathe’ Screams $26M+, Gives Sony 3rd Summer Cash Cow After ‘Sausage Party’, ‘Shallows’…