When Alice in Wonderland this week became only the sixth film to cross the $1 billion gross mark, it certainly bolstered Johnny Depp’s case for being the biggest movie star in the world. He’s the only guy who has reached the $1 billion mark with two films. The other, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest, is the fourth highest grossing film ever. While Will Smith usually leads the world’s biggest star discussion, he has yet to reach the $1 billion mark. Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt haven’t hit it either. Leonardo DiCaprio hit it once with Titanic, but you could say the boat was the star in that enterprise. Same with Orlando Bloom, who finds himself on the list twice with Lord of the Rings: Return of the King and Pirates, but it would be hard to argue he’s the reason. In fact, most of the billion dollar films are not star-driven spectacles, but Depp’s two entries certainly were. James Cameron is the only director to hit the billion dollar mark twice. He did it with Avatar and Titanic, the top grossing films of all time.
Johnny Depp: Only Star To Hit The Billion Dollar Gross Mark Twice
What's Hot on Deadline
'Pacific Rim Uprising' Takes No. 1 With $23M+; 'Black Panther' Best Marvel Title Ever At Domestic B.O., Beating 'Avengers'
Latest Box Office News
- No. 5 ‘It’ Box Office Profits – 2017 Most Valuable Blockbuster Tournament
- ‘Pacific Rim Uprising’ Takes No. 1 With $23M+; ‘Black Panther’ Best Marvel Title Ever At Domestic B.O., Beating ‘Avengers…
- Wes Anderson Returns With 'Isle Of Dogs'; Stanley Tucci Back With 'Final Portrait' – Specialty B.O. Preview
- ‘Frozen’ Review: Broadway Lets It Go With Full-Throated Adaptation
- ‘Annihilation’ Targets Spring Theatrical Release In China
- No. 6 ‘Wonder Woman’ Box Office Profits – 2017 Most Valuable Blockbuster Tournament