Fox Searchlight has acquired North American rights from IDG China Media to Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, an adaptation set in 19th Century China of the Lisa See novel directed by Wayne Wang. Gianna Jun and Li Bing Bing star, and Ron Bass wrote the script with Angela Workman and Michael Ray. (Bass and Wang previously teamed on the screen adaptation of the Amy Tan novel The Joy Luck Club.) The deal was made by Searchlight presidents Nancy Utley and Stephen Gilula and acquisitions exec veep Tony Safford. Kathy Morgan of KMI International will handle foreign sales. Oh, by the way, did I mention that the film’s producers are Wendi Murdoch and Florence Sloan — in other words, the wives of News Corp (Fox) honcho Rupert Murdoch and MGM chairman Harry Sloan. Meanwhile, executive producer Hugo Shong has a China-based film fund underwritten mostly by Wendi.
Fox Searchlight Buys Wendi Murdoch Film
What's Hot on Deadline
Bloomberg Scrubs White House Correspondents' Dinner Party As Donald Trump Vows To "Do Something" About Press
Latest TV News
- WGA Members "Ready To Strike" After Round Of Pre-Contract Talks Meetings
- Pondering The Imponderable: How A Restructured Hollywood Would Deal With Striking Writers
- Univision Pulls Ads For Pulse Shooting Show Segment; Club Owner, Mothers, Victims, GLAAD Press Network To Stop ‘Blood Bath…
- Republican Congressman Darrell Issa’s ‘Real Time’ Surprise Call For Special Prosecutor Gains Traction
- ‘The Good Fight’ Adds Nyambi Nyambi As Recurring
- 'American Girl': Gwendoline Yeo To Star In Amazon's Special 'Ivy & Julie 1976: A Happy Balance'