Fox Searchlight has acquired North American rights from IDG China Media to Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, an adaptation set in 19th Century China of the Lisa See novel directed by Wayne Wang. Gianna Jun and Li Bing Bing star, and Ron Bass wrote the script with Angela Workman and Michael Ray. (Bass and Wang previously teamed on the screen adaptation of the Amy Tan novel The Joy Luck Club.) The deal was made by Searchlight presidents Nancy Utley and Stephen Gilula and acquisitions exec veep Tony Safford. Kathy Morgan of KMI International will handle foreign sales. Oh, by the way, did I mention that the film’s producers are Wendi Murdoch and Florence Sloan — in other words, the wives of News Corp (Fox) honcho Rupert Murdoch and MGM chairman Harry Sloan. Meanwhile, executive producer Hugo Shong has a China-based film fund underwritten mostly by Wendi.
Fox Searchlight Buys Wendi Murdoch Film
What's Hot on Deadline
M Night Shyamalan Unveils 'Glass': 'Unbreakable' & 'Split' Sequel To Star Bruce Willis, Samuel L Jackson, James McAvoy
DC Digital Service To Launch With 'Titans' Series From Greg Berlanti & Akiva Goldsman And 'Young Justice: Outsiders'
Latest TV News
- ‘Power’ Gets Season 4 Premiere Date On Starz
- Los Angeles Chargers Line Up Broadcast Partners
- Hilary Swank Joins FX’s Getty Kidnapping Saga ‘Trust’
- Fox To Honor Jonathan Demme On Tonight’s ‘Shots Fired’ Episode
- ‘Great News’ Off To OK Ratings Start, ‘The Flash’ & ‘iZombie’ Tick Up In Return
- Bill Cosby’s Daughter Declares Actor Not “A Rapist” As 2004 Rape Trial Looms