Fox Searchlight has acquired North American rights from IDG China Media to Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, an adaptation set in 19th Century China of the Lisa See novel directed by Wayne Wang. Gianna Jun and Li Bing Bing star, and Ron Bass wrote the script with Angela Workman and Michael Ray. (Bass and Wang previously teamed on the screen adaptation of the Amy Tan novel The Joy Luck Club.) The deal was made by Searchlight presidents Nancy Utley and Stephen Gilula and acquisitions exec veep Tony Safford. Kathy Morgan of KMI International will handle foreign sales. Oh, by the way, did I mention that the film’s producers are Wendi Murdoch and Florence Sloan — in other words, the wives of News Corp (Fox) honcho Rupert Murdoch and MGM chairman Harry Sloan. Meanwhile, executive producer Hugo Shong has a China-based film fund underwritten mostly by Wendi.
Fox Searchlight Buys Wendi Murdoch Film
What's Hot on Deadline
Red Nose Day Actually: 'Love Actually' Short-Film Sequel With Hugh Grant, Keira Knightley, Bill Nighy & More
Latest TV News
- Donald Trump Son-In Law Jared Kushner Discussed Secret Communication Channel With Russia: Report
- Stephen Colbert Explains How Donald Trump Alpha-Dogged His Way Through NATO Summit
- ‘The Simpsons’: Donald Trump Gets A Thank-You From Richard Nixon’s Ghost
- Viacom’s Great Program Migration: Guide To Which Show Moved Where
- MSNBC President Phil Griffin Signs New Deal; Whither Goest Lawrence O’Donnell?
- ‘The 100’ Ups Tasya Teles To Regular; ‘Supergirl’s Floriana Lima To Return As Recurring