Magnolia Pictures has bought world rights to Smash His Camera, the documentary about infamous New York City paparazzo Ron Galella. He is the pioneering yet controversial celebrity photographer who is best remembered for the restraining order that Jackie O obtained against his prying camera after he photographed her in private moments. He also lost 5 teeth at the hands of another antagonistic subject, Marlon Brando. The film is directed by Leon Gast, the Academy Award-winning helmer of When We Were Kings. Smash His Camera premiered at Sundance, and HBO recently acquired U.S. broadcast rights.
CANNES: Paparazzo Doc Gets Magnolia Deal
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Box Office Friday: 'If I Stay' Sinks, 'Sin City 2' Bombs, 'Game' Scrambles As 'Guardians' Steps Up To No. 1
More From Fleming Jr
- Does TV Hurt Movie Careers? 'True Detective's Matthew McConaughey Coveted For 'The Stand' And 'Gold'
- Tobey Maguire's Material Signs Oscar Sharp To Blind Deal Off Short Pic 'The Karman Line'
- Circle Of Confusion's Brad Mendelsohn To Head Lit Department
- Andrew Dominik To Script 'Shaolin Temple' For Helmer Justin Lin
- Brad Grey Takes ALS Plunge With Help From Johnny Knoxville
- EMMYS: Deadline's Live-Blog Special Guest: 'Sons Of Anarchy' Creator Kurt Sutter