Tonight’s party thrown by Paul Allen on his yacht M.Y. Octopus puts the focus on the ships off the Croisette, and makes some wonder just who is doing business from these luxury vessels? I’m told that among the seafarers is troubled film financier David Bergstein. When that bench warrant over unpaid casino markers was rescinded, it enabled Bergstein to travel to the festival, and word is he’s working from Ron Tutor’s yacht. Some feel he won’t venture ashore, because it would be uncomfortable running into so many who got stiffed by his troubled labels Capitol Films, ThinkFilm and others which are now being scrutinized by a bankruptcy court-appointed trustee. I’m told Bergstein is there to broker foreign distribution deals for Father of Invention, which stars Kevin Spacey as an inventor-turned-egomaniac infomercial guru, who goes to prison after his invention maims thousands, and who emerges with a plan to rekindle a relationship with his daughter and rebuild his empire. Director Trent Cooper wrote the script with Nichole Beattie and Jonathan Krane. Remember him? Krane was the longtime manager of John Travolta, who built the film company MCEG into a 80s powerhouse, before it faltered and went bankrupt several years later. Krane reemerged as an author and proprietor of a film academy in Florida. Heather Graham and Camilla Belle also star in Father of Invention, which was produced by Spacey’s Trigger Street banner.
CANNES: David Bergstein Among The Yacht Crowd Doing Offshore Film Deals?
What's Hot on Deadline
Spirit Award Nominations: 'Call Me By Your Name', 'Lady Bird', 'Get Out', 'The Rider', 'Florida Project' Best Pics
TV & Film Casting Biz Disrupted: Fox's Decision To Drop Breakdown Services For Casting Networks & Its Fallout
Latest TV News
- Canadian Actors Union Branch President Says She Was Sexually Assaulted Four Times
- ‘Too Old To Die Young’: Billy Baldwin Cast In Nicolas Winding Refn's Amazon Series
- ‘Blue Book’: Michael Harney & Ksenia Solo Join Robert Zemeckis-Produced UFO Series At History
- AT&T-Time Warner Merger: Telco Shares Dip; Donald Trump Says Deal “Not Good For The Country”
- Donald Trump Tacitly Endorses Roy Moore For Alabama Senate: “We Don’t Need A Liberal Person In There”
- Fred Armisen Spanish-Language Comedy ‘Mexico City: Only Good Things Happen’ Gets Pilot Order At HBO