EXCLUSIVE: Feature writer/ producer/ directors Brian Koppelman and David Levien are making a push in television with a first-look deal at 20th Century Fox TV, the duo’s first formal TV deal. Koppelman and Levien, whose latest feature Solitary Man opened last week in limited release with the highest per-screen average, have dabbled into TV before. They wrote the 2003 ABC drama pilot The Street Lawyer and created and executive produced the ESPN series Tilt, on which they also directed the pilot. But now Koppelman and Levien are looking to become hands-on TV producers. The two first met with 20th TV chairman Dana Walden and EVP Jennifer Nicholson Salke eight months ago. “We were incredibly impressed with their taste and energy and enthusiasm to be in television and the kind of voices we wanted to bring,” Nicholson Salke said. Koppelman and Levien said their main focus will be working with young writers, including playwrights and other up-and-coming talent from New York where the two are based. They said they are looking to discover new writers for TV the way they did on the feature side with Neil Burger and Alice O’Neill as well as bring feature scribes to the small screen. Of course, 20th TV brass are hoping that CAA-repped Koppelman and Levien might also write or direct a TV project themselves.
Brian Koppelman & David Levien Ink TV Deal
What's Hot on Deadline
'Gods Of Egypt': 'Selma' Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity - Update
Thanksgiving Box Office +12% Over 2014, Boosted By 'Mockingjay 2', 'Good Dinosaur' & 'Creed' - Sunday AM Final Update
China Makes Space For ‘The Martian’ As ‘Good Dinosaur’ Snatches Eggs From No. 1 ‘Mockingjay 2’ – Intl B.O. Update
’The Danish Girl’ Bows With Style; 'Janis: Little Girl Blue' Solid In Debut; 'Carol’ Dominates Thanksgiving: Specialty B.O.
Latest TV News
- Al Markim, Who Played Astro In Pioneering ‘Tom Corbett, Space Cadet,’ Dies At 88
- ‘MasterChef Jr.’ Ratings Down, ‘Amazing Race’ Even, ‘Santa Claus’ Matches 2014
- ‘NFL On CBS’ Snags Strong Thanksgiving Day Ratings
- Marvel’s ‘Agent Carter’ Season 2 Teaser: Hayley Atwell Kicks Butt In Hollywood
- Thanksgiving NFL Matchup Draws 27.8M Viewers, 2nd-Most Ever For NBC Primetime Regular-Season Game – Update
- French Media Dedicates Coverage To Emotional Memorial Service For Victims Of Paris Attacks