Hollywood will be pleased to know that longtime Variety lead film critic Todd McCarthy, who was laid off by the trade two months ago, has found an outlet for his reviews at IndieWire. He “will not be silenced,” the venue just announced. “At Todd McCarthy’s Deep Focus, we will work with Todd to build an even larger audience for his work: reviews and dispatches on film from his home in Los Angeles and at festivals around the world.” Meanwhile, Variety head Neil Stiles told me at the time of McCarthy’s layoff that it was the cost-cutting decision of editor Tim Gray. I told Neil it was a pisspoor allocation of Variety‘s limited resources. Because at least Hollywood reads McCarthy. Unlike the useless Brian Lowry, who makes $200,000+ at Variety but never breaks any news about the TV biz in his lame column.
Todd McCarthy Lands At IndieWire
What's Hot on Deadline
Cannes Winners: 'Shoplifters' Takes Palme D'Or; Spike Lee's 'BlacKkKlansman' Is Grand Prize - Full List
'Deadpool 2' Sets Fox Record With $176M Overseas Bow; 'Avengers: Infinity War' Tops $1.81B WW - International Box Office
Royal Wedding: Prince Harry Tells Meghan Markle She "Looks Amazing", Bishop Curry's Speech And Other Unforgettable Moments
'SNL' Finale Highlights: Tina Fey Dusts Off Sarah Palin Impersonation, Takes Celebs' Questions, Yes-Ands In 'Chicago Improv'
Latest TV News
- LeBron James-Led Rout By Cleveland Draws ESPN’s Second-Best NBA Eastern Conference Finals Game 3 Rating Ever
- Billboard Music Awards Reveals Non-Televised Award Winners
- ‘Saturday Night Live’ Ratings Tick Up In Season Finale With Host Tina Fey
- ‘SNL’ Finale Highlights: Tina Fey Dusts Off Sarah Palin Impersonation, Takes Celebs’ Questions, Yes-Ands In ‘Chicago Improv…
- Royal Wedding Ratings: 18M Watch Prince Harry & Meghan Markle’s Big Day In The UK
- ‘SNL’: Donald Trump Gets ‘The Sopranos’ Treatment In Season Finale Cold Open