That’s basically the long and short of it. Lionsgate today announced that it has filed an application with the British Columbia Court of Appeal for leave to appeal the British Columbia Securities Commission’s decision to stop the studio from using a poison pill defense against Carl Icahn’s attempted takeover of the company. (That is euphemistically called by the company the “Lionsgate Shareholder Rights Plan”. The application is scheduled to be heard by the Court of Appeal on May 3rd. In light of the appeal process, Lionsgate’s Board of Directors voted to delay the Special Meeting of Shareholders to May 12th. Why then? Because, as LG notes, that’s “the earliest date the Icahn Group can complete its subsequent offering period under its [$7 per share] tender offer. Lionsgate believes that there are shareholders who, without the protection of the Shareholder Rights Plan, may be coerced to tender into the offer. The Company wants to provide shareholders an opportunity to obtain the information necessary to make an informed and non-coerced decision.” Geez, with this much continuing drama, this should have been the plot of Wall Street 2.
Lionsgate Appealing Decision That It Can't Use Poison Pill Defense Against Carl Icahn
What's Hot on Deadline
Sean Spicer Says Melissa McCarthy 'Saturday Night Live' Parody "Funny"; Sean Hannity Reminds Him It's Not
'Justice League' Trailer: Wonder Woman Saves School Children, But Is Superman Still Alive? - Comic-Con
'Marvel's The Defenders' Stuns Fans With Debut Episode Screening & New Trailer For Netflix Series - Comic-Con
From ‘Fauda’s Assaf Bernstein On ‘Rose Madder' To ‘The Shining’ Onstage: What’s Behind Stephen King’s Hollywood Renaissance?
Comic-Con: 'Outlander' EP Ronald D Moore Talks Seasons 3 & 4, Diana Gabaldon, 'Battlestar Galactica' & The Changing SDCC
Latest TV News
- ‘Stranger Things’ Season 2 Tease Kicks Off Comic-Con Panel
- 'Wynonna Earp' Renewed For Season 3 On Syfy – Comic-Con
- ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Debuts New Trailer, Adds Wilson Cruz, Composer Jeff Russo to Starfleet —Comic-Con
- ‘Happy!’: Patton Oswalt Set To Voice Title Character In Syfy Series, Replacing Bobby Moynihan
- ‘The Originals’ Season 5 Teaser: First Look At Teenage Hope In Final Season — Comic-Con
- ‘Lucifer’: Tom Welling Joins Season 3 Cast Of Fox Drama Series; New Footage Unveiled