The end of the Spider-Man franchise has created new opportunities for Kirsten Dunst. She’s just been set by Lars von Trier to play the lead role in Melancholia that Penelope Cruz was negotiating before she jumped to Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. Melancholia is a sci-fi disaster film that will shoot July through September in Southern Sweden, with Charlotte Gainsbourg, Kiefer Sutherland, Charlotte Rampling, Alexander Skarsgaard, Stellan Skarsgaard and Udo Kier also attached to roles. Dunst is currently starring with Jim Sturgess in Upside Down. Bastard, the short film she directed and co-wrote, will premiere at the Tribeca Film Fest and was just accepted into Cannes.
Kirsten Dunst Will Lead 'Melancholia'
What's Hot on Deadline
'American Sniper' Hits Theaters Christmas Day - See The Making Of Clint Eastwood's Powerful True Story (Video)
More From Fleming Jr
- Sony Distribution Prez Tells Deadline: Exhibitors Not Sore Over 'The Interview'
- THR Calls George Clooney And Bryan Lourd Liars: Here's The Backstory On Sony Petition
- Sony Handling Of 'The Interview' Release Puts Big Exhibitors On Warpath; VOD Next Shoe To Drop?
- 'Inherent Vice's Katherine Waterston Lands Lead In Steve Jobs Film
- Star Trek 3's New Director Will Be 'Fast & Furious 6′ Helmer Justin Lin
- 'Today' Show Boots Amy Adams – Just Because She Didn't Want To Discuss Sony Hacking