Yes, Marvel Studios made Chris Evans an offer to play Captain America. But I hear that the testing process will continue because the actor is conflicted about jumping into another superhero role, after playing Johnny Storm/Human Torch in two Fantastic Four installments. This could certainly be bargaining table posturing, because Marvel drives the toughest deals in town. But other actors have turned away from big superhero movie roles. They include Heath Ledger, who turned down Spider-Man because he didn’t want to be typecast or sign for three movies. (He later came back for an Oscar-winning turn as The Joker in The Dark Knight). Josh Hartnett turned down the chance to play Superman several years ago for similar reasons, even though the 3-picture pact could have paid him nearly $100 million. Marvel is offering far less, and asking for 9 options.
Will Chris Evans Play 'Captain America'?
What's Hot on Deadline
Hollywood Cowardice: George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack
More From Fleming Jr
- Sony Pictures Acquires Robert Rodriguez And His Frank Frazetta Homage 'Fire And Ice'
- Variety Claims Exclusive On Day-Old Deadline Scoop On Sony's 'The Interview'
- Anthony Mackie, Helmer Justin Simien 'Make A Wish' At Paramount
- Gore Verbinski On Cancellation Of North Korea-Based Steve Carell Film
- Aaron Sorkin On Free Speech As Casualty In 'The Interview' Cancellation