Yes, Marvel Studios made Chris Evans an offer to play Captain America. But I hear that the testing process will continue because the actor is conflicted about jumping into another superhero role, after playing Johnny Storm/Human Torch in two Fantastic Four installments. This could certainly be bargaining table posturing, because Marvel drives the toughest deals in town. But other actors have turned away from big superhero movie roles. They include Heath Ledger, who turned down Spider-Man because he didn’t want to be typecast or sign for three movies. (He later came back for an Oscar-winning turn as The Joker in The Dark Knight). Josh Hartnett turned down the chance to play Superman several years ago for similar reasons, even though the 3-picture pact could have paid him nearly $100 million. Marvel is offering far less, and asking for 9 options.
Will Chris Evans Play 'Captain America'?
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Box Office Friday: 'If I Stay' Sinks, 'Sin City 2' Bombs, 'Game' Scrambles As 'Guardians' Steps Up To No. 1
More From Fleming Jr
- Does TV Hurt Movie Careers? 'True Detective's Matthew McConaughey Coveted For 'The Stand' And 'Gold'
- Tobey Maguire's Material Signs Oscar Sharp To Blind Deal Off Short Pic 'The Karman Line'
- Circle Of Confusion's Brad Mendelsohn To Head Lit Department
- Andrew Dominik To Script 'Shaolin Temple' For Helmer Justin Lin
- Brad Grey Takes ALS Plunge With Help From Johnny Knoxville
- EMMYS: Deadline's Live-Blog Special Guest: 'Sons Of Anarchy' Creator Kurt Sutter