Here’s a nugget to add to the news that David Fincher will direct Pawn Sacrifice, the Sony/Columbia Pictures drama about chess wiz Bobby Fischer. Tobey Maguire is committed to star as Fischer, insiders confirm. Production begins late fall. Maguire is producing with partner Jenno Topping and Gail Katz. Steven Knight wrote the script, and the plan is to shoot after Sony releases the Fincher-directed Social Network. Fischer was far more tortured than Peter Parker ever was. A prodigy who captured the world’s imagination when he won the World Chess Championship over Russian Boris Spassky in a Cold War-era match that drew international media attention, Fischer had a rougher time after that. He faded from view, living abroad and surfacing to make anti-American and anti-Semitic statements. He lived in exile in Iceland until he died.
Tobey Set To Play Chess Bad Boy Bobby
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Dax Shepard Driving Warner Bros 'CHiPS' Film; Michael Pena To Play Ponch
- Holy Macau…Casino Short Film Lineup: Scorsese, De Niro, DiCaprio, Pitt
- Venice Spotlight: Ami Canaan Mann On 'Jackie & Ryan'
- Not So Fast On 'Hey Ho, Let's Go'
- 'Sons Of Anarchy's Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie's Choice For King Arthur