Here’s a nugget to add to the news that David Fincher will direct Pawn Sacrifice, the Sony/Columbia Pictures drama about chess wiz Bobby Fischer. Tobey Maguire is committed to star as Fischer, insiders confirm. Production begins late fall. Maguire is producing with partner Jenno Topping and Gail Katz. Steven Knight wrote the script, and the plan is to shoot after Sony releases the Fincher-directed Social Network. Fischer was far more tortured than Peter Parker ever was. A prodigy who captured the world’s imagination when he won the World Chess Championship over Russian Boris Spassky in a Cold War-era match that drew international media attention, Fischer had a rougher time after that. He faded from view, living abroad and surfacing to make anti-American and anti-Semitic statements. He lived in exile in Iceland until he died.
Tobey Set To Play Chess Bad Boy Bobby
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Universal Reuniting Matt Damon & Paul Greengrass For Another Jason Bourne Film
- Bart & Fleming: On Football Violence, And Rethinking Toronto Vs. Telluride Turf War
- What Was I Thinking? IFC President Jonathan Sehring On Funding 'Boyhood' For 12 Years
- Ashley Judd & Demian Bichir Join Voltage's 'Good Kids'
- Toronto: Magnolia, CNN Films Buys 'Sunshine Superman'
- Toronto: Second Jennifer Aniston Pic Catches Buzz North Of The Border