New Line has set a summer start date on the third installment of the Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle franchise, with the Warner Bros-based company about to hire a director, and seriously considering doing the film in 3D. The film is Christmas-themed, giving Warner Bros a nice R-rated holiday release for 2011 or 2012. The biggest significance is that the start date signals the return of Kal Penn, who put his career on hold to take the position of associate director of the White House Office Of Public Engagement. The politically conscious actor gave up a lot to take the job–his doctor character, Lawrence Kutner, was killed off from the Fox drama House–but it was done with the understanding that he’d commit to the position for one year. As to the idea of leaving a prestige D.C. post to reprise in a stoner comedy, well, a guy’s got to make a living, right? He’ll leave shortly.
Kal Penn Returns From White House to Another 'White Castle' Stoner Sequel
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Hobbit Sings Sweet Farewell To Middle Earth
- Charles Sipkins Exiting Sony As Corporate PR Head
- Jean-Marc Vallee To Direct Amy Adams In Janis Joplin Biopic
- Katee Sackhoff Gets 'Girl Flu'
- Richard Linklater Cast For Career Achievement Award
- Josh Boone Says Warner Bros Will Turn Stephen King's 'The Stand' Into Four Films