New Line has set a summer start date on the third installment of the Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle franchise, with the Warner Bros-based company about to hire a director, and seriously considering doing the film in 3D. The film is Christmas-themed, giving Warner Bros a nice R-rated holiday release for 2011 or 2012. The biggest significance is that the start date signals the return of Kal Penn, who put his career on hold to take the position of associate director of the White House Office Of Public Engagement. The politically conscious actor gave up a lot to take the job–his doctor character, Lawrence Kutner, was killed off from the Fox drama House–but it was done with the understanding that he’d commit to the position for one year. As to the idea of leaving a prestige D.C. post to reprise in a stoner comedy, well, a guy’s got to make a living, right? He’ll leave shortly.
Kal Penn Returns From White House to Another 'White Castle' Stoner Sequel
Trending Now on Deadline
'Black-ish', 'Grey's Anatomy', 'Castle', 'The Goldbergs', 'Modern Family', 'Once Upon A Time' & Others Get Extra Episodes At ABC
More From Fleming Jr
- Hot Red Band Trailer: 'Nightcrawler'
- Warner Bros To Remake 'Who Am I'; Pic Is German Box Office Sensation
- Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor Joining DC Comics Pic 'Suicide Squad'?
- 'Act Of Killing' Helmer Joshua Oppenheimer Signs With UTA
- Sebastian Stan Joins 'The Martian' And 'Ricki And The Flash'
- Chiwetel Ejiofor Lands On 'The Martian'