Before Tom Cruise chose Knight and Day as his follow-up to Valkyrie, he had every studio custom-tailoring as Cruise vehicles films that included the DreamWorks action film Motorcade, The Tourist (which rebounded as a Johnny Depp-Angelina Jolie vehicle), a teaming with Denzel Washington in the Robert Ludlum novel adaptation The Matarese Circle, the Suzanne Bier-directed romantic comedy Lost for Words, and the Warner Bros action film The 28th Amendment. Before Cruise and Cameron Diaz circled Knight and Day, I read a draft of the script when the producers were after Chris Tucker and Eva Mendes to play the leads and the film went by the titles Wichita and Trouble Man. I have to admit, the script back then had plot holes, that maybe got patched. Trailers never tell the whole story, but it looks like Cruise chose well. And with another Mission: Impossible film in the offing, will Cruise recapture his star standing?
Hot Trailer: Tom Cruise In 'Knight And Day'
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Box Office Friday: 'If I Stay' Sinks, 'Sin City 2' Bombs, 'Game' Scrambles As 'Guardians' Steps Up To No. 1
More From Fleming Jr
- Does TV Hurt Movie Careers? 'True Detective's Matthew McConaughey Coveted For 'The Stand' And 'Gold'
- Tobey Maguire's Material Signs Oscar Sharp To Blind Deal Off Short Pic 'The Karman Line'
- Circle Of Confusion's Brad Mendelsohn To Head Lit Department
- Andrew Dominik To Script 'Shaolin Temple' For Helmer Justin Lin
- Brad Grey Takes ALS Plunge With Help From Johnny Knoxville
- EMMYS: Deadline's Live-Blog Special Guest: 'Sons Of Anarchy' Creator Kurt Sutter