EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros sure is high on Russell Brand, the MTV-favorite British actor who’s already attached to reprise the Dudley Moore role in an Arthur remake for the studio. I’m told the studio has just paid mid-6 against high-6 figures to acquire a pitch by William and Scott Bindley that has WME client Brand attached. He’ll play a David Beckham-like millionaire soccer star/playboy who gets arrested in a West Texas and sentenced to community service. His task: coach the hapless local high school soccer team in a Friday Night Lights town. Bill Bindley and Mike Karz will produce with Brand and his manager Nik Linnen. Brand has been a bit of a bad boy himself — he resigned from the BBC after he and a cohort left obscene messages for Fawlty Towers star Andrew Sachs. (Brand bragged about bedding his granddaughter.) Maybe tact isn’t his strength, but Brand certainly lit up the screen in films like Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and he reprises the rocker character from that film in the upcoming Get Him to the Greek. ICM and Rain Management Group sold the script by the Bindleys, who wrote Vicenza for Sony and Overbrook. Scott Bindley’s script Say Uncle has Zach Galifianakis attached at Warner Bros.
Warner Bros Banking On Russell Brand
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- 'Rosie Project' Has Lord & Miller Circling To Helm Neustadter & Weber Script
- 'Divergent's Neil Burger To Helm Spy Thriller 'All The Old Knives'
- Don't We Want '70s-Style Adult Thrillers Like 'A Walk Among The Tombstones'? A Chat With Scott Frank
- Newbie Picture Company On The Case For 'Tracking Of A Russian Spy'
- Hamptons Fest Gets 'St. Vincent' Opener; Now They Pray For St. Bill
- Bryan Cranston In 'The Great Wall' Talks