A Hollywood source has slipped me media executive search consultant Mercury Group’s highly confidential “Profile for The Hollywood Reporter Publisher Position”. (Did I mention it’s got “Confidential” printed across every page?) I think what follows is self-explanatory. Check back this morning to read Part 2 about The Hollywood Reporter post-sale:
CLIENT COMPANY – e5 Global Media
POSITION SPECIFICATION – Publisher, The Hollywood Reporter
e5 Global Media is a newly formed company whose assets include The Hollywood Reporter, AdweekMedia (which includes Adweek, Mediaweek and Brandweek), Billboard, The Clio Awards, The Film Expo Group (comprising of CineExpo, CineAsia, Show East and Show West), International Film, Journal & Backstage.
E5 acquired the brands from Nielsen Business Media on Dec. 31. The company was formed by Pluribus Capital Management and Guggenheim Partners. It’s chaired by Jimmy Finkelstein, CEO of News Communications, parent of Congressional Journal the Hill.
Richard Beckman, formerly of Conde Nast, is the new company’s CEO. He plans to grow e5’s assets by extending them to new platforms.
“What we have to do is take these storied brands and create meaningful, multiplatform brands with a global imprint that in aggregate become a very important media and entertainment business,” he said. “I want a footprint across multiple platforms. It could be anything from television to broadband to event-based businesses. I see us creating a burgeoning branded-entertainment business.”
Beckman didn’t rule out forays into consumer-aimed media, where he has spent most of his career.
“These brands like The Hollywood Reporter and Billboard have value to the consumer,” he said. “I would not be surprised if we develop consumer platforms as well in these spaces.”
Backing the company with Finkelstein are ex-Hearst International president George Green and Matthew Doull, a onetime associate publisher of Wired.
The publisher is the chief strategist, brand manager and bottom-line decision maker on advertising, sales and marketing for the publication including all ancillary branded product offerings such as online editions, events and other brand extensions. He/she is responsible for spearheading collaborative partnerships within and across brands to broaden mutual reach and impact. The publisher maintains ultimate responsibility for all decisions contributing to the bottom line including sales, operational efficiency and circulation quality.
POSITION REPORTS TO
Richard Beckman – Chief Executive Officer (see Bio on page 4)
CANDIDATE SPECIFICATION: KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
• Develop publication mission and position based on market reality and needs. Incorporate that strategy or “ideology” through every aspect of the publication.
• Develop publishing plan including strategic and tactical goals, revenue and market share targets
• Evaluate competitive position of publication and produce aggressive sales forecasts and market penetration strategies
• Plans, organizes, directs and controls the resources for producing the publication including budgeting, allocating and controlling costs
• Maintain standards of professionalism and leadership both internally and externally
• Plan and execute promotion plan, including responsibility for media kits and research advertising
• Hire, train, supervise, motivate and develop staff
• Ensure that magazine production schedules are adhered to
• Networking – keep abreast of latest trends in industry
• Short and long-term visionary with strategic execution skills
• A sense of urgency; responds and adjusts quickly
• Ability to adjust to evolving market conditions
• Strong staff/management orientation
• Understanding of journalistic principles and guidelines
• Strong knowledge of the marketplace
• Ability to develop sales strategies and tactical sales plans
• Diagnostic and analytic abilities
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Financial assessment abilities
• Team building, team management acumen
• Results-orientation and time management skills
• Flexibility and the ability to manage multiple ongoing processes and initiatives
• Comfortable with technology and use of analytic reports
• Judgment and maturity
• Strong business orientation
• 10+ years in sales in a publishing environment
• Budgeting and financial planning experience