As the Sundance fest comes to a close, Harvey Weinstein acquired Blue Valentine in a WME-brokered deal. While IFC, Goldwyn and Oscilloscope made offers, The Weinstein Co was particularly aggressive with a low 7-figure offer. While the film isn’t easy — director Derek Cianfrance has shot an often painfully honest autopsy of a dead marriage — Weinstein Co decisionmakers were convinced that the performance by Michelle Williams opposite Ryan Gosling is her strongest since Brokeback Mountain and has Oscar nomination potential. This now gives TWC a pair of films, counting the docu The Tillman Story. Other deals include the Joel Schumacher-directed Twelve to Hannover House, and the docu Family Affair to Oprah Winfrey’s OWN.
Sundance Sales Update: 'Blue Valentine'
What's Hot on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Alec Baldwin Plots TV Return As NYC Mayor In HBO Series
- UTA Signs Helmer Gavin Hood
- Relativity To Release Faith-Based Film ‘Hillsong–Let Hope Rise’
- Diablo Cody Set To Rewrite ‘Barbie’
- Seth Rogen Comes Out Smoking Over THR Charges Of Pot-Reeking Office
- WME Signs Film And Theater Director Julie Taymor