As the Sundance fest comes to a close, Harvey Weinstein acquired Blue Valentine in a WME-brokered deal. While IFC, Goldwyn and Oscilloscope made offers, The Weinstein Co was particularly aggressive with a low 7-figure offer. While the film isn’t easy — director Derek Cianfrance has shot an often painfully honest autopsy of a dead marriage — Weinstein Co decisionmakers were convinced that the performance by Michelle Williams opposite Ryan Gosling is her strongest since Brokeback Mountain and has Oscar nomination potential. This now gives TWC a pair of films, counting the docu The Tillman Story. Other deals include the Joel Schumacher-directed Twelve to Hannover House, and the docu Family Affair to Oprah Winfrey’s OWN.
Sundance Sales Update: 'Blue Valentine'
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Stork Visit For Milla Jovovich Postpones 'Resident Evil 6′
- Indie Audax Outbids For David Weil Spec 'Moonfall'
- Lionsgate Buys Opera-Themed Comedy 'The Three Tenors'
- RADiUS To Release SXSW Winner 'The Great Invisible'
- Toronto Finds Bill Murray And Gives Him A Day