Daniel Craig has closed his deal to star in Cowboys and Aliens for DreamWorks and Universal, as I predicted. Craig will star in an adaptation of Fred Van Lente’s graphic novel that was published by Platinum Studios and revolves around cowboys and Native Americans who put aside their Old West differences to battle invading aliens. Craig will play the lead cowboy Zeke Jackson, replacing Robert Downey Jr who exited to jump right back to the Sherlock Holmes sequel. While he likely won’t identify himself as “Jackson, Zeke Jackson,” Craig has put himself in an enviable position: Cowboys and Aliens has franchise potential. And it will keep him busy while the James Bond/MGM situation plays out. (EXCLUSIVE: Sam Mendes About To Be Hired As “Consultant” On Bond #23) Brian Grazer is producing with Ron Howard, Steven Spielberg, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, and Platinum Studios’ Scott Mitchell Rosenberg.
TOLDJA! Daniel Craig Bonds To Alien West
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- A 'Sophie's Choice': 'Jaws' Or 'Goodfellas'?
- Paul Schrader's 'Dying Of The Light' Acquired By Lionsgate Home Entertainment
- Warner Bros Pre-empts 'Mack Bolan'; Bradley Cooper, Todd Phillips Aboard
- Bart & Fleming: On Robin Williams And Empathetic Star Send-Offs
- Q&A: 'The Giver's Lois Lowry And Phillip Noyce On The Give And Take Between Author And Director
- 'Sin City 2′ To Launch With Tarantino 'Hateful Eight' Teaser