According to Media By Numbers, IMAX showings of the Warner Bros mega-blockbuster also set a record with $640K for the midnight previews. This figure is included in the studio’s overall 12:01AM screenings number of $18.4 million. Director Chris Nolan shot six major action sequences, including the opening six minutes and Joker’s first appearance in the film, with IMAX cameras. This marks the first time ever that a major feature film has been even partially shot using IMAX cameras, deemed a revolutionary integration of the two film formats. The IMAX Experience will appear in IMAX DMR (letterbox), while scenes shot with IMAX cameras on 15/70mm film will expand vertically to fill the entire IMAX screen, which can be up to eight stories tall. This is such a big deal to IMAX that the company’s chief Richard Gelfond went on CNBC financial TV this morning to preen.
'Dark Knight' Sets Midnight Imax Record
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fate Of The Furious' Fires Up $745M Offshore, $908M WW; Tops 'Transformers' In China - International Box Office
BAFTA TV Craft Award Winners Include 'The Crown', 'The Night Manager', 'National Treasure' -- Full List
Martin Scorsese, Leonardo DiCaprio & Robert De Niro Eyeing 'Killers Of The Flower Moon' From Eric Roth Adaptation
Latest Box Office News
- Broadway Review: Warner Bros Bets On ‘Charlie And The Chocolate Factory’ Redo
- ‘Fate Of The Furious’ Fires Up $745M Offshore, $908M WW; Tops ‘Transformers’ In China – International…
- Docs 'Citizen Jane' & 'Jeremiah Tower' Rule Quiet Weekend – Specialty B.O.
- Max Winkler’s Teenage Comedy ‘Flower’ Plants Itself At The Orchard – Tribeca
- ‘Fate Of The Furious’ Drives Five Wide Releases Off The Road With $38.6M Second Weekend – Sunday AM Update
- ‘Deadpool 2’, ‘New Mutants’ & ‘Dark Phoenix’ Find 2018 Dates Among Fox’s Slew Of Release Changes…