11 PM UPDATE: Friday’s Sex And The City opened with great foreplay for the biggest romantic comedy debut. Really early box office numbers could be as high as $26 million to $28 million and for the weekend $65 million to $75 million. That’s stunning the Hollywood pros. “It could reach or exceed the high end if the final West Coast numbers match the East Coast’s. Those totals could be higher. Huge,” one rival studio exec exclaimed to me. “It’s a true sensation. People thought it would do well. But nothing like this. The top end expected was $40M.” Still, some experts wonder if this is a front-loaded phenomenon and the numbers won’t hold on Saturday. But Sex And The City will certainly beat last weekend’s No. 1 blockbuster, Paramount’s Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull, which made $12M today and should finish by Sunday around $37M-$39M: that’s -60%, but last Friday began Memorial Weekend. See my story, IS ‘SEX’ THE ULTIMATE CHICK FLICK?
'Sex' Sell-Out & Blow-Out! Could Go As High As $28M Friday, $75M Weekend
What's Hot on Deadline
Matt Groening Netflix Animated Comedy A Go With 20-Episode Order, Abbi Jacobson, Nat Faxon & Eric Andre Lead Voice Cast
Latest Box Office News
- ‘Valerian’ And The City Of A Thousand Misconceptions: Who’s On The Hook?
- Blair Brown Joins Beau Willimon’s ‘Parisian Woman’ On Broadway; Bedlam Revives ‘Peter Pan’
- Broadway Box Office: Brendon Urie Kicks ‘Kinky Boots’ To $1.4M; Disney’s ‘Aladdin’ Up $207K
- Universal Hits $4B In Global Box Office For Second Time In Its History
- How Warner Bros Beat The Period-Film Curse At The B.O. & Positioned ‘Dunkirk’ As A Summer Tentpole
- 'Landline' Dials In With Top Number; 'The Beguiled' Crosses $10M – Specialty Box Office