11 PM UPDATE: Friday’s Sex And The City opened with great foreplay for the biggest romantic comedy debut. Really early box office numbers could be as high as $26 million to $28 million and for the weekend $65 million to $75 million. That’s stunning the Hollywood pros. “It could reach or exceed the high end if the final West Coast numbers match the East Coast’s. Those totals could be higher. Huge,” one rival studio exec exclaimed to me. “It’s a true sensation. People thought it would do well. But nothing like this. The top end expected was $40M.” Still, some experts wonder if this is a front-loaded phenomenon and the numbers won’t hold on Saturday. But Sex And The City will certainly beat last weekend’s No. 1 blockbuster, Paramount’s Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull, which made $12M today and should finish by Sunday around $37M-$39M: that’s -60%, but last Friday began Memorial Weekend. See my story, IS ‘SEX’ THE ULTIMATE CHICK FLICK?
'Sex' Sell-Out & Blow-Out! Could Go As High As $28M Friday, $75M Weekend
What's Hot on Deadline
'Beauty And The Beast' Nears $700M WW; 'Kong' Has Mighty $72M China Bow, Tops $250M Offshore - International Box Office
'American Horror Story' At Paley Fest: Is Sarah Paulson's Supreme 'Coven' Character Returning In Season 7?
Family-Branded Films On Fire: 'Beauty And The Beast' Headed To $90M+; 'Power Rangers' Mighty With $40M+
Latest Box Office News
- As Exhibitors Fret Over Studios’ Push To Crush Windows, Here's The Sobering Reality About PVOD – CinemaCon
- Broadway Interest Piqued As Former NY Times Drama Critic Charles Isherwood Heads To Web
- Broadway Review: In ‘Sweat’, Trump’s Pipe Dream Deferred; ‘Dear Evan Hansen’
- ‘Beauty And The Beast’ Nears $700M WW; ‘Kong’ Has Mighty $72M China Bow, Tops $250M Offshore – International…
- Family-Branded Films On Fire: ‘Beauty And The Beast’ Headed To $90M+; ‘Power Rangers’ Mighty…
- How Lionsgate Re-Charged ‘Power Rangers’ & Returned It To The Big Screen