11 PM UPDATE: Friday’s Sex And The City opened with great foreplay for the biggest romantic comedy debut. Really early box office numbers could be as high as $26 million to $28 million and for the weekend $65 million to $75 million. That’s stunning the Hollywood pros. “It could reach or exceed the high end if the final West Coast numbers match the East Coast’s. Those totals could be higher. Huge,” one rival studio exec exclaimed to me. “It’s a true sensation. People thought it would do well. But nothing like this. The top end expected was $40M.” Still, some experts wonder if this is a front-loaded phenomenon and the numbers won’t hold on Saturday. But Sex And The City will certainly beat last weekend’s No. 1 blockbuster, Paramount’s Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull, which made $12M today and should finish by Sunday around $37M-$39M: that’s -60%, but last Friday began Memorial Weekend. See my story, IS ‘SEX’ THE ULTIMATE CHICK FLICK?
'Sex' Sell-Out & Blow-Out! Could Go As High As $28M Friday, $75M Weekend
What's Hot on Deadline
Sony Pictures Confirms Quentin Tarantino Deal; Margot Robbie, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio Circling
Ryan Eggold, Who Played Fan Favorite Tom Keen In 'The Blacklist,' Joins Spike Lee's 'Black Klansman'
Actress Accuses 'Girls' EP Murray Miller Of Sexual Assault; Showrunners Lena Dunham & Jenni Konner Defend Him - Update
Latest Box Office News
- ‘Justice League’ Encounters Kryptonite At The B.O. With $96M+ Opening: Why The DC Movie Weakened
- ‘Justice League’ Rises To $70.7M Through Friday At International Box Office
- Review: Lerner & Loewe’s Golden ‘Brigadoon’ With Kelli O’Hara and Aasif Mandvi
- How MoviePass Is Girding For The Massive ‘Last Jedi’ Holiday B.O. Season: CEO Says “Exhibitors Should Be Thrilled”…
- Fandango Reports Sensational Advance Group Ticket Sales For ‘Wonder’
- ‘Justice League’ Powers To $13M Thursday Night; Beats ‘Wonder Woman’ – Friday AM Update