Welcome to Fall 2007’s first official weekend prediction. Lionsgate’s 3:10 to Yuma has that incredibly interesting pairing of Russell Crowe and Christian Bale with director James Mangold, but it’s causing consternation among my box office gurus. They agree it should be the No. 1 pic, but pessimists are predicting only a $10 mil debut from 2,652 theaters. Even optimists note that, while the tracking to them suggests a generous $12.5 mil opening (and even that is hardly OK for a $50 mil film with over $30 mil in P & A), Yuma‘s “awareness” number is “disproportionately small. Not a good sign.” My analysts predict that MGM / The Weinstein Co’s Labor Day record setting holdover, Halloween, should drop a gigantic -70% and muster $8 mil or so from 3,475 runs. Sony’s Superbad in 3,069 dates should come in around $7 mil or $8 mill. As for New Line’s ridiculous Shoot ‘Em Up playing in 2,108 venues, I’m told to expect only $6 mil to $7 mil.
Weekend Tracking: '3:10 To Yuma' #1?
What's Hot on Deadline
Ryan Reynolds' Maximum Effort Makes 3-Year Fox Deal; First Up Is 'Clue' With 'Deadpool' Scribes Reese & Wernick
'What We Do In The Shadows' TV Series Reboot From Jemaine Clement & Taika Waititi Gets FX Pilot Order, Sets Cast
'The Resident' Writer Zachary Lutsky Under Review In Light Of Past Sexual Harassment Allegations On 'Code Black'
Latest Box Office News
- Amy Sherman-Palladino Tells Women Stage Directors ‘Broadway Is Heaven’ – But Some Demur
- Can MoviePass Impact The Indie Film Biz & Survive In The Long Run? CEO Mitch Lowe Explains – Sundance
- Broadway B.O.: Sara Bareilles & Jason Mraz Serve Sky High Pie With ‘Waitress’
- ‘Jumanji’ At $768M WW Intensity & 4th #1 In A Row Overseas; ‘Maze Runner: Death Cure’ Debuts – International…
- 'Darkest Hour' Tops $41M, 'The Shape of Water' Crosses $30M, 'Call Me By Your Name' Expands – Specialty Box Office
- January Slows As ‘Jumanji’ Takes No. 1 For 3rd Weekend With $19M To $20M; Older Guy Pics ’12 Strong’ & ‘Den Of Thieves…