Welcome to Fall 2007’s first official weekend prediction. Lionsgate’s 3:10 to Yuma has that incredibly interesting pairing of Russell Crowe and Christian Bale with director James Mangold, but it’s causing consternation among my box office gurus. They agree it should be the No. 1 pic, but pessimists are predicting only a $10 mil debut from 2,652 theaters. Even optimists note that, while the tracking to them suggests a generous $12.5 mil opening (and even that is hardly OK for a $50 mil film with over $30 mil in P & A), Yuma‘s “awareness” number is “disproportionately small. Not a good sign.” My analysts predict that MGM / The Weinstein Co’s Labor Day record setting holdover, Halloween, should drop a gigantic -70% and muster $8 mil or so from 3,475 runs. Sony’s Superbad in 3,069 dates should come in around $7 mil or $8 mill. As for New Line’s ridiculous Shoot ‘Em Up playing in 2,108 venues, I’m told to expect only $6 mil to $7 mil.
Weekend Tracking: '3:10 To Yuma' #1?
What's Hot on Deadline
'A Dog's Purpose' Producer "Horrified" Seeing Video Of Dog Almost Drowning On Set; PETA Calls For Boycott Of Film
'A Dog's Purpose' Director Lasse Hallstrom & Voice Actor Josh Gad Upset Over "Disturbing" Video Of Terrified Dog
'Split' And 'xXx' Merge Into Market While 'The Founder' May Get Lost In Heavy Traffic - Box Office Preview
Latest Box Office News
- Bye Bye, So Long Farewell – Lively Broadway B.O. Bids Godspeed To ‘Jersey Boys’
- ‘Rogue One’ Rises To $980M+ Global; ‘Passengers’ Books Overseas No. 1 – International…
- ‘Hidden Figures’ Calculates $27.5M Weekend, ‘Rogue’ Passes $500M, Other Movies Bomb Over MLK – Box…
- ‘Wish Upon’, Broad Green’s Horror Film, Gets Summer 2017 Release Date
- ‘Split’ And ‘xXx’ Merge Into Market While ‘The Founder’ May Get Lost In Heavy Traffic – Box…
- Tupac Shakur Biopic ‘All Eyez On Me’ Gets Summer Release From Lionsgate’s Summit