In my mind, there’s no bigger putz who doesn’t believe he’s a putz than Brett Ratner. And, trust me, this is a crowded category in Hollywood. But he wins hands-down because there’s no other working director who so jejunely revels in Hollywood’s casting couch stereotype. He’s purposefully overexposed, proudly undertalented and priapicly whorish (all hilarious to Defamer). Knowing that Mr. $1 Billion In Global Ticket Sales is associated with a movie is enough to make a third of the filmgoing public give that pic a miss. Yet the studios keep hiring him, most recently at the helm of New Line’s over budget Rush Hour 3 which opens August 10th. Apparently the moguls think like my paper LA Weekly‘s film editor Scott Foundas who this week writes a slobbery love letter to The Popcorn King: “It is an idea that may initially strike you as radical or preposterous, and which could jeopardize my standing in the film-criticism community. And yet, here goes: Brett Ratner is a talented filmmaker who deserves to be taken seriously.” Earth to Scott: either you need a vacation, or you need better drugs.
Somebody Actually Likes This Uber-Hack?
What's Hot on Deadline
'Beauty And The Beast' Nears $700M WW; 'Kong' Has Mighty $72M China Bow, Tops $250M Offshore - International Box Office
'American Horror Story' At Paley Fest: Is Sarah Paulson's Supreme 'Coven' Character Returning In Season 7?
Family-Branded Films On Fire: 'Beauty And The Beast' Headed To $90M+; 'Power Rangers' Mighty With $40M+
'Westworld' Team On The Series' Super-Engaged Fan Base, Music Hints & Being Part Of The Solution - PaleyFest
Latest Box Office News
- Broadway Review: In ‘Sweat’, Trump’s Pipe Dream Deferred; ‘Dear Evan Hansen’
- ‘Beauty And The Beast’ Nears $700M WW; ‘Kong’ Has Mighty $72M China Bow, Tops $250M Offshore – International Box…
- Family-Branded Films On Fire: ‘Beauty And The Beast’ Headed To $90M+; ‘Power Rangers’ Mighty With $40M+
- How Lionsgate Re-Charged ‘Power Rangers’ & Returned It To The Big Screen
- Jazz Doc 'I Called Him Morgan' Hits Solid Note; 'Wilson' Walks Slow – Specialty B.O.
- ‘Sing’ Gives Voice To $600M At Worldwide Box Office