Given how tough the marketplace already is this summer for sequels, I expected a lot of controversy over the weekend box office prospects for Fantastic Four: Rise of The Silver Surfer. And is there ever. My box office gurus tell me they expect the Fox comic book caper to make $50+ million in gross receipts from its 3,957 theaters. (That’s less than the original, which took in $56M from 3,619 after opening; it went on to make $154.6M domestically and $175.4M overseas for a total of $330.1M.) But I’m told Fox execs would faint if Silver Surfer got to that number and they don’t think it’s possible. “Not in this summer. It’s a tough market. If it does Ocean‘s numbers, they’d be thrilled,” said a source, referring to the $37 mil that pic made last weekend. Also explaining the wide variation in numbers is that the movie skews young, and they’re hard to predict this summer. The studio keeps claiming it kept the cost down to around $125 mil. That’s rare to have a “1” in front of it, instead of a “2” or a “3”, like most of the tentpoles so far. Meanwhile, my film financing experts agree with Fox’s cautiousness: “The tracking reflects an opening consistent with lower-level Marvel pics,” an insider emailed me. Meanwhile, look for a lot of noise about the comic book company Monday when The New York Times kicks off the week with a big business section story about Marvel Studios.
Wkd B.O. Controversy Over 'Silver Surfer'
What's Hot on Deadline
James Bond 25 Sets Distribution: Universal Wins International, MGM Releases Domestic Through Annapurna Joint Venture
David Cross Latest 'Arrested Development' Star To Apologize To Jessica Walter; Show's UK Press Tour Canceled
'Show Dogs' Getting Re-Cut By Global Road In Response To Concerns Over Inappropriate Sex Abuse Message
Latest Box Office News
- ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’ Targeting $13M-$15M Thursday Night B.O. – Early Read
- Elle Fanning Is 'Mary Shelley'; Fashion's André Talley Lands Doc – Specialty B.O. Preview
- ‘Rocketman’ Elton John Biopic Tunes Up For Next May; ‘Transformers 7’ Moved Off Calendar & More Paramount…
- ‘Six Billion Dollar Man’ Pushed To Summer 2020 As Pic Looks For New Director; ‘The Shining’ Sequel Finds Date; ‘Godzilla 2’…
- ‘Show Dogs’ Getting Re-Cut By Global Road In Response To Concerns Over Inappropriate Sex Abuse Message
- ‘Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom’ Roars $185M Promo Campaign, More Than Double 2015 Movie