I’ve never seen Hollywood studios so slippery when it comes to box office as they’ve been this blockbuster crowded summer. Here’s the latest example: I was told as late as yesterday — yesterday — by Paramount that it was still opening DreamWorks tentpole Transformers next Tuesday July 3rd and would have a “6-day total” over Fourth Of July. But rival studios alerted me tonight that, very quietly, Paramount has slipped in Monday July 2nd showings of the heavily anticipated Michael Bay pic improved by Steven Spielberg. (And, to think, all their movie posters both real and online say July 3rd. And some clueless media outlets like Entertainment Weekly are still reporting Transformers‘ release date as July 4th.) Nor are these Monday midnight showings, which could count for Tuesday’s box office. I’ve confirmed that the screenings begin at 8 p.m., so they should count towards Monday’s box office. So that would be a “7-day total” if counted separately. UPDATE: *Paramount now acknowledges they miscommunicated with me and regret the error.* But rival studios are grousing to me that Paramount was trying to pull a fast one and planned to put Monday’s gross receipts in with Tuesday’s to get a bigger number because of the PR value. I’m not shocked games like this go on in Hollywood, but I am surprised Paramount thought we’d play along.
'Transformers' Opening July 2, NOT July 3
What's Hot on Deadline
'Beauty And The Beast' Nears $700M WW; 'Kong' Has Mighty $72M China Bow, Tops $250M Offshore - International Box Office
'American Horror Story' At Paley Fest: Is Sarah Paulson's Supreme 'Coven' Character Returning In Season 7?
Family-Branded Films On Fire: 'Beauty And The Beast' Headed To $90M+; 'Power Rangers' Mighty With $40M+
'Westworld' Team On The Series' Super-Engaged Fan Base, Music Hints & Being Part Of The Solution - PaleyFest
Latest Box Office News
- Broadway Review: In ‘Sweat’, Trump’s Pipe Dream Deferred; ‘Dear Evan Hansen’
- ‘Beauty And The Beast’ Nears $700M WW; ‘Kong’ Has Mighty $72M China Bow, Tops $250M Offshore – International…
- Family-Branded Films On Fire: ‘Beauty And The Beast’ Headed To $90M+; ‘Power Rangers’ Mighty…
- How Lionsgate Re-Charged ‘Power Rangers’ & Returned It To The Big Screen
- Jazz Doc 'I Called Him Morgan' Hits Solid Note; 'Wilson' Walks Slow – Specialty B.O.
- ‘Sing’ Gives Voice To $600M At Worldwide Box Office