Let’s go with the number $40 million to $50 million. No, that’s not what Lucky You made this weekend. That’s what the pic lost. The only other major movie opening this weekend besides Spider-Man 3 was this Warner Bros’ 2 year old pic directed by Curtis Hanson and starring Drew Barrymore and Eric Bana that the studio dumped opposite the Sony record-breaker. The poker pic only managed 6th place with $2.6 mil from Friday to Sunday in 2,525 theaters. Given that I’m told the film cost $58 million, plus another $34 million in promotion and advertising, this is a major wipeout for Warner Bros. (Only comforted by the fact that it was co-financed with Village Roadshow). Money guys tell me the writedown should be around $40M, other sources tell me $40M to $50M, and rival studios claim $80M. Next time the studio should just bet the moolah on roulette.
It Should Have Been Titled 'Unlucky You'
What's Hot on Deadline
Tom Rothman Takes A Shot At Netflix As He Reveals The "New Sony"; Plus 'Spiderman' Interview - CinemaCon
Sony CinemaCon Presentation: 'Spider-Man: Homecoming', 'Blade Runner 2049', 'Dark Tower', 'Emoji Movie' & More - Live
Latest Box Office News
- Sony CinemaCon Presentation: ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’, ‘Blade Runner 2049’, ‘Dark Tower’, ‘Emoji Movie’ & More…
- ‘Baby Driver’ Speeds From August To June; Jon Hamm, Ansel Elgort & Edgar Wright Show Off First Six Minutes…
- CinemaCon Institutes New Security Measures In Wake Of Last Year’s ‘Now You See Me 2’ Theater Evacuation
- Paramount Sets Release Dates For ‘Suburbicon’, ‘Action Point’ & ‘A Quiet Place…
- No. 9 ‘Fantastic Beasts’ Box Office Profits – 2016 Most Valuable Movie Blockbuster Tournament
- No. 10 ‘Suicide Squad’ Box Office Profits – 2016 Most Valuable Movie Blockbuster Tournament