Let’s go with the number $40 million to $50 million. No, that’s not what Lucky You made this weekend. That’s what the pic lost. The only other major movie opening this weekend besides Spider-Man 3 was this Warner Bros’ 2 year old pic directed by Curtis Hanson and starring Drew Barrymore and Eric Bana that the studio dumped opposite the Sony record-breaker. The poker pic only managed 6th place with $2.6 mil from Friday to Sunday in 2,525 theaters. Given that I’m told the film cost $58 million, plus another $34 million in promotion and advertising, this is a major wipeout for Warner Bros. (Only comforted by the fact that it was co-financed with Village Roadshow). Money guys tell me the writedown should be around $40M, other sources tell me $40M to $50M, and rival studios claim $80M. Next time the studio should just bet the moolah on roulette.
It Should Have Been Titled 'Unlucky You'
What's Hot on Deadline
How Lynne Ramsay Got Over 'Jane Got A Gun' & Embraced Joaquin Phoenix Noir 'You Were Never Really Here' - Cannes
Latest Box Office News
- Why ‘Pirates’ & ‘Baywatch’ Are Trudging Through Sand At The Domestic B.O. — Sat. AM Update
- ‘The Fate Of The Furious’ Expected To Cross $1B Tomorrow At Int’l Box Office
- Tony Nominee Jenn Colella Came From Away – And Landed On Broadway
- Tyler Perry To Scare Up Laughs This October Again In ‘Boo 2! A Madea Halloween’
- Deadheads High On 'Long Strange Trip'; Teresa Palmer Stars in 'Berlin Syndrome' – Specialty Box Office Preview
- Alec Baldwin Returns In ‘The Boss Baby 2’, Crawling To Theaters In 2021