Let’s go with the number $40 million to $50 million. No, that’s not what Lucky You made this weekend. That’s what the pic lost. The only other major movie opening this weekend besides Spider-Man 3 was this Warner Bros’ 2 year old pic directed by Curtis Hanson and starring Drew Barrymore and Eric Bana that the studio dumped opposite the Sony record-breaker. The poker pic only managed 6th place with $2.6 mil from Friday to Sunday in 2,525 theaters. Given that I’m told the film cost $58 million, plus another $34 million in promotion and advertising, this is a major wipeout for Warner Bros. (Only comforted by the fact that it was co-financed with Village Roadshow). Money guys tell me the writedown should be around $40M, other sources tell me $40M to $50M, and rival studios claim $80M. Next time the studio should just bet the moolah on roulette.
It Should Have Been Titled 'Unlucky You'
What's Hot on Deadline
Keaton Jones Facebook Video Gone After Mom's Confederate Flag Photos Surface: Is Hollywood Still "KeatonStrong"?
Seth Rogen To Play Walter Cronkite In 'Newsflash;' David Gordon Green-Helmed Pic On CBS JFK Assassination Coverage
'Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle' Review: Dwayne Johnson, Kevin Hart & Jack Black Are In The Game, But Laughs Don't Come Easily
Latest Box Office News
- Broadway B.O.: Mark Rylance & SpongeBob SquarePants Join The Starry Field & The Boss Is Back
- MoviePass Reports B.O. Impact On ‘Justice League’, ‘Coco’, ‘Three Billboards’ & More
- ‘Coco’ Sweet With $390M Global, Scores China Hat Trick; ‘Justice League’ Tops $600M WW – International…
- 'I, Tonya' Blades To Robust Bow; 'The Shape Of Water' & 'Call Me By Your Name' Expand Solidly – Specialty…
- December Still Asleep Before ‘Last Jedi’ Awakens: ‘Coco’ $18M+, ‘Disaster Artist’ $6M+, ‘Wonder…
- Warner Bros. Becomes First Major Studio To Cross $2 Billion This Year At Domestic B.O. Propelled By ‘Wonder Woman’, ‘It…