Let’s go with the number $40 million to $50 million. No, that’s not what Lucky You made this weekend. That’s what the pic lost. The only other major movie opening this weekend besides Spider-Man 3 was this Warner Bros’ 2 year old pic directed by Curtis Hanson and starring Drew Barrymore and Eric Bana that the studio dumped opposite the Sony record-breaker. The poker pic only managed 6th place with $2.6 mil from Friday to Sunday in 2,525 theaters. Given that I’m told the film cost $58 million, plus another $34 million in promotion and advertising, this is a major wipeout for Warner Bros. (Only comforted by the fact that it was co-financed with Village Roadshow). Money guys tell me the writedown should be around $40M, other sources tell me $40M to $50M, and rival studios claim $80M. Next time the studio should just bet the moolah on roulette.
It Should Have Been Titled 'Unlucky You'
What's Hot on Deadline
Jimmy Kimmel: Donald Trump Would Sign Copies Of Koran At Barnes & Noble In Fallujah To Kill Bill Named For Obama
Latest Box Office News
- ‘Blade Runner 2049’ Tickets Go On Sale Friday; Opening In The $43M-$47M Range
- ‘The Equalizer 2’ Pushes Up To August 2018; ‘Paul, Apostle Of Christ’ Eyes Easter Stretch
- Blumhouse RSVPs September 2019 Date On Universal’s Schedule
- ‘Amityville: The Awakening’ To Stream On Google Play For Free; Gets Limited Theatrical Release
- ‘War Paint’ Sets Broadway Close For December
- If ‘Kingsman: The Golden Circle’ Brings A Movie Laugh, It Won’t Be A Minute Too Soon