There is such obvious pent-up demand among parents and their offspring for a fresh ‘toon that Shrek the Third should prove critic-proof in spite of awful reviews. My box office gurus are predicting $100 million to $110 million for the threequel which will be playing in a huge 4,122 number of theaters. On the other hand, starting Friday, Sony’s Spider-Man 3 expands its playdates to 4,324 (+72) after already setting a record for the widest U.S. release. Meanwhile, Dreamworks Animation chief Jeffrey Katzenberg is busy at the Cannes Film Festival downplaying talk of record ticket sales for his ‘toon. Meanwhile, all eyes are on Memorial Weekend: my experts predict Disney’s Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World’s End could make as much as $180 million for their 4 1/2-day holiday May 24th through May 28th even with an unofficial running time of 2 hours and 47 minutes. Yowza!
B.O. Predictions: 'Shrek 3' $100M-$110M This Wkd; 'Pirates 3' $180M Mem Wkd
What's Hot on Deadline
Keaton Jones Facebook Video Gone After Mom's Confederate Flag Photos Surface: Is Hollywood Still "KeatonStrong"?
Seth Rogen To Play Walter Cronkite In 'Newsflash;' David Gordon Green-Helmed Pic On CBS JFK Assassination Coverage
'Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle' Review: Dwayne Johnson, Kevin Hart & Jack Black Are In The Game, But Laughs Don't Come Easily
Latest Box Office News
- Broadway B.O.: Mark Rylance & SpongeBob SquarePants Join The Starry Field & The Boss Is Back
- MoviePass Reports B.O. Impact On ‘Justice League’, ‘Coco’, ‘Three Billboards’ & More
- ‘Coco’ Sweet With $390M Global, Scores China Hat Trick; ‘Justice League’ Tops $600M WW – International…
- 'I, Tonya' Blades To Robust Bow; 'The Shape Of Water' & 'Call Me By Your Name' Expand Solidly – Specialty…
- December Still Asleep Before ‘Last Jedi’ Awakens: ‘Coco’ $18M+, ‘Disaster Artist’ $6M+, ‘Wonder…
- Warner Bros. Becomes First Major Studio To Cross $2 Billion This Year At Domestic B.O. Propelled By ‘Wonder Woman’, ‘It…