There is such obvious pent-up demand among parents and their offspring for a fresh ‘toon that Shrek the Third should prove critic-proof in spite of awful reviews. My box office gurus are predicting $100 million to $110 million for the threequel which will be playing in a huge 4,122 number of theaters. On the other hand, starting Friday, Sony’s Spider-Man 3 expands its playdates to 4,324 (+72) after already setting a record for the widest U.S. release. Meanwhile, Dreamworks Animation chief Jeffrey Katzenberg is busy at the Cannes Film Festival downplaying talk of record ticket sales for his ‘toon. Meanwhile, all eyes are on Memorial Weekend: my experts predict Disney’s Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World’s End could make as much as $180 million for their 4 1/2-day holiday May 24th through May 28th even with an unofficial running time of 2 hours and 47 minutes. Yowza!
B.O. Predictions: 'Shrek 3' $100M-$110M This Wkd; 'Pirates 3' $180M Mem Wkd
What's Hot on Deadline
Robert Redford Sanguine About Donald Trump But "Depressed" About Partisan Politics At Sundance Opening Presser
Paramount Gets China Infusion: $1 Billion, 3-Year Slate Co-Financing Deal With Shanghai Film Group & Huahua Media
'Split' Scares In Solid $2M; 'Xander Cage' Takes $1.2M, 'The Founder' Gets $105K In Previews - Friday AM Box Office
Latest Box Office News
- Brendan Gleeson Goes Outlaw In 'Trespass Against Us'; Madonna's Dancers 'Strike a Pose' – Specialty B.O. Preview
- ‘Split’ Scares In Solid $2M; ‘Xander Cage’ Takes $1.2M, ‘The Founder’ Gets $105K In Previews – Friday AM…
- Wanda Says Thomas Tull Not Fired From Legendary Over ‘The Great Wall’
- ‘Jitney’, ‘Under The Radar’ Reviews: August Wilson’s Genius Shone Through From The Start
- How Did Those 2016 Sundance Sales Work Out?
- Bye Bye, So Long Farewell – Lively Broadway B.O. Bids Godspeed To ‘Jersey Boys’