There is such obvious pent-up demand among parents and their offspring for a fresh ‘toon that Shrek the Third should prove critic-proof in spite of awful reviews. My box office gurus are predicting $100 million to $110 million for the threequel which will be playing in a huge 4,122 number of theaters. On the other hand, starting Friday, Sony’s Spider-Man 3 expands its playdates to 4,324 (+72) after already setting a record for the widest U.S. release. Meanwhile, Dreamworks Animation chief Jeffrey Katzenberg is busy at the Cannes Film Festival downplaying talk of record ticket sales for his ‘toon. Meanwhile, all eyes are on Memorial Weekend: my experts predict Disney’s Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World’s End could make as much as $180 million for their 4 1/2-day holiday May 24th through May 28th even with an unofficial running time of 2 hours and 47 minutes. Yowza!
B.O. Predictions: 'Shrek 3' $100M-$110M This Wkd; 'Pirates 3' $180M Mem Wkd
What's Hot on Deadline
'Avengers: Infinity War' Already The Best-Selling Superhero Movie In Advance Ticket Sales, Beating 'Black Panther'
California Pol To Wolf Blitzer: Donald Trump "Spinning Out Of Control", Serious Security Threat, Has To Go
Latest Box Office News
- ‘Black Panther’ Poised For $460M+ In Profit; ‘I Can Only Imagine’ Surprises – Box Office Update
- ‘Avengers: Infinity War’ Already The Best-Selling Superhero Movie In Advance Ticket Sales, Beating ‘Black Panther…
- Screen Gems Adds John Cho-Debra Messing Thriller ‘Searching’ To August Schedule
- Dwayne Johnson Announces Release Date For Rawson Marshall Thurber Reteam ‘Red Notice’
- Peter Bart: ‘Black Panther’s Triumph Sends Studios Scurrying To Find The Next Magic Formula
- Charlize Theron Comedy ‘Tully’ Moves To First Weekend Of May