Think of it as the quiet before the storm: Expect a lackluster movie weekend before the sizzling Summer Movie Season officially kicks off the following Friday with Spider-Man 3. With no significant competition, Paramount’s Next with Nicolas Cage should finish this Friday-Saturday-Sunday as No. 1 with low teens, as in millions. But its reviews were lousy, so maybe not. (This is a Revolution / Paramount pic, as compared to the many DreamWorks pics which Paramount has been distributing with a lot of success lately.) How Next fares could be a referendum on Cage’s box office popularity. Ghost Rider, which did great biz, wasn’t because it was based on the Marvel comic character. Anyway, expect the overall box office to be way down again since nothing very exciting is opening or holding over. (Last weekend’s B.O. was -20% vs 2006). OK, I’m taking the rest of the day off.
This Weekend's Prediction: 'Next' No. 1?
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fear The Walking Dead' Finale: Gale Anne Hurd On Season 2, 'Walking Dead' Season 6 & No Zombie Apocalypse Crossover
Latest Box Office News
- Clive Owen Leads Electric Broadway Revival Of Pinter’s ‘Old Times’ – Review
- Bob Saget Will Preach The Gospel of Broadway’s ‘Hand To God’
- Sex, Rebellion & The Sexual Revolution Outed In ‘Cloud Nine’ – Review
- ‘The Martian’ Opens To $44.6M, Will Pass $100M Worldwide Today – Int’l Box Final
- ‘Martian’ 2nd-Best Opening For October, Damon & Scott Despite Losing Fuel Sunday; Verdi Trips ‘Walk’…
- Broadway Box Office Inches Back Up; ‘Finding Neverland’ Off 40% Since August