Think of it as the quiet before the storm: Expect a lackluster movie weekend before the sizzling Summer Movie Season officially kicks off the following Friday with Spider-Man 3. With no significant competition, Paramount’s Next with Nicolas Cage should finish this Friday-Saturday-Sunday as No. 1 with low teens, as in millions. But its reviews were lousy, so maybe not. (This is a Revolution / Paramount pic, as compared to the many DreamWorks pics which Paramount has been distributing with a lot of success lately.) How Next fares could be a referendum on Cage’s box office popularity. Ghost Rider, which did great biz, wasn’t because it was based on the Marvel comic character. Anyway, expect the overall box office to be way down again since nothing very exciting is opening or holding over. (Last weekend’s B.O. was -20% vs 2006). OK, I’m taking the rest of the day off.
This Weekend's Prediction: 'Next' No. 1?
What's Hot on Deadline
Sequel To Cult Sci-Fi Pic 'The Man From Earth' A Go With Vanessa Williams, Sterling Knight Among Cast
Latest Box Office News
- Memorial Day Tentpole Bloodbath: ‘Apocalypse’ Reigns Over ‘Alice’ Sequel – Saturday AM Update
- ‘Warcraft’ Builds $16.3M Overseas War Chest Through Friday – Intl B.O. Update
- ‘American Psycho’ Will Close On Broadway Before The Tony Awards At $8.8M Loss
- World War II Cillian Murphy Pic ‘Anthropoid’ From Bleecker Street Plots August Date
- Gerard & Roth: And The Tony Award For Best Song Goes To…
- Documentaries Counter Memorial Weekend Tentpoles: Specialty Preview