Think of it as the quiet before the storm: Expect a lackluster movie weekend before the sizzling Summer Movie Season officially kicks off the following Friday with Spider-Man 3. With no significant competition, Paramount’s Next with Nicolas Cage should finish this Friday-Saturday-Sunday as No. 1 with low teens, as in millions. But its reviews were lousy, so maybe not. (This is a Revolution / Paramount pic, as compared to the many DreamWorks pics which Paramount has been distributing with a lot of success lately.) How Next fares could be a referendum on Cage’s box office popularity. Ghost Rider, which did great biz, wasn’t because it was based on the Marvel comic character. Anyway, expect the overall box office to be way down again since nothing very exciting is opening or holding over. (Last weekend’s B.O. was -20% vs 2006). OK, I’m taking the rest of the day off.
This Weekend's Prediction: 'Next' No. 1?
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Box Office News
- Alec Baldwin Returns In ‘The Boss Baby 2’, Crawling To Theaters In 2021
- Casting Directors Will “Explore Every Option” In Effort To Unionize On Broadway
- ‘Baywatch’ Swims To $1.25M In Wednesday Night Previews
- Director Jerry Zaks On The Love Stories Behind ‘Hello, Dolly!’ – And Zero Mostel’s Mezuzah
- ‘Pirates’ Hopes To Make Waves Around The World With $230M+ Launch – Memorial Day Weekend Box Office Preview
- Sofia Coppola & ‘Beguiled’ Cast On The Big Screen Experience: “A Unique One In Our Modern…