Think of it as the quiet before the storm: Expect a lackluster movie weekend before the sizzling Summer Movie Season officially kicks off the following Friday with Spider-Man 3. With no significant competition, Paramount’s Next with Nicolas Cage should finish this Friday-Saturday-Sunday as No. 1 with low teens, as in millions. But its reviews were lousy, so maybe not. (This is a Revolution / Paramount pic, as compared to the many DreamWorks pics which Paramount has been distributing with a lot of success lately.) How Next fares could be a referendum on Cage’s box office popularity. Ghost Rider, which did great biz, wasn’t because it was based on the Marvel comic character. Anyway, expect the overall box office to be way down again since nothing very exciting is opening or holding over. (Last weekend’s B.O. was -20% vs 2006). OK, I’m taking the rest of the day off.
This Weekend's Prediction: 'Next' No. 1?
What's Hot on Deadline
'Captain America: Civil War' Grabs $200.4M In Debut; 'Jungle Book' A Beast, And With 'Zootopia' Disney Has $1.24B From Three Titles - Int'l Box Office Final
Larry Wilmore Savages Media, Ignites Controversy During White House Correspondents' Dinner Skewering
Latest Box Office News
- Bono Joins Lupita Nyong’o & ‘Eclipsed’ Cast On Behalf Of Kidnapped Girls
- ‘Waitress’ Is Looking Hit-like, Dramas Rising At Jumpy Broadway Box Office
- ‘Jungle Book’ King Again, Reigns On Newcomer Parade: ‘Keanu’, ‘Mother’s Day’ & ‘Ratchet & Clank’…
- Arts Endowment, Key Brand’s Miles Wilkin Set To Get Special Tony Awards
- ‘Captain America: Civil War’ Grabs $200.4M In Debut; ‘Jungle Book’ A Beast, And With ‘Zootopia’ Disney Has $1.24B From Three…
- Ben Platt Stars In ‘Dear Evan Hansen’: Suicide Is Never Painless – Off-Broadway Review