Think of it as the quiet before the storm: Expect a lackluster movie weekend before the sizzling Summer Movie Season officially kicks off the following Friday with Spider-Man 3. With no significant competition, Paramount’s Next with Nicolas Cage should finish this Friday-Saturday-Sunday as No. 1 with low teens, as in millions. But its reviews were lousy, so maybe not. (This is a Revolution / Paramount pic, as compared to the many DreamWorks pics which Paramount has been distributing with a lot of success lately.) How Next fares could be a referendum on Cage’s box office popularity. Ghost Rider, which did great biz, wasn’t because it was based on the Marvel comic character. Anyway, expect the overall box office to be way down again since nothing very exciting is opening or holding over. (Last weekend’s B.O. was -20% vs 2006). OK, I’m taking the rest of the day off.
This Weekend's Prediction: 'Next' No. 1?
What's Hot on Deadline
Divorce Comedy With Royal Family Twist From Meghan Markle's Ex-Husband Trevor Engelson Set At Fox With Big Commitment
Latest Box Office News
- Greta Gerwig’s ‘Lady Bird’ Going A Week Earlier In November
- ‘Kingsman: The Golden Circle’ Looking At Royal Weekend Opening In Low $40Ms
- Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper’s ‘A Star Is Born’ Moves Up To Next Summer
- 'Stronger', 'Battle Of The Sexes’, 'Victoria & Abdul' Launch Busy Fall – Specialty B.O. Preview
- ‘Blade Runner 2049’ Tickets Go On Sale Friday; Opening In The $43M-$47M Range
- ‘The Equalizer 2’ Pushes Up To August 2018; ‘Paul, Apostle Of Christ’ Eyes Easter Stretch