This weekend, the Weinstein Co. has a movie that could actually make double-digits at the box office. Given the disastrous performance of its movies ’til now, this is quite an event. MGM, the Weinstein Co.’s distributorship, is in a state of shock. My box office gurus say Hannibal Rising will finish the weekend in the high teens (as in millions), but still end up only a distant No. 2 to Dreamworks’ Norbit. This prequel has a tie-in with Thomas Harris’ latest Hannibal Lecter book. On the other hand, these predictions came in to me before the majority of rotten reviews came out. Ouch! I love the idea, and irony, that Harvey finally met his match pairing with wheeler dealer Dino De Laurentiis, the octogenarian and official film producer of the Hannibal character: because it’s said about both Harv and Dino that negotiating with them is more painful than a root canal. Well, for Harvey’s sake, the new product he bought at Sundance has to fare better with moviegoers than his recent failures. Meanwhile, bankers are saying that the Weinsteins are planning to recapitalize their company soon. To read up on the convoluted history of the Hannibal Lecter movies, see my previous: Hannibal Is Harvey’s Cannibal Now, Yes, Sir, That’s My Cannibal and Will Hannibal the Cannibal Eat Hollywood?
Lowering Estimates For 'Hannibal Rising'
What's Hot on Deadline
'The Good Place's Jameela Jamil Blames Porn And Music Videos For Consent Issues Following Aziz Ansari Allegations
Two More Sexual Misconduct Allegations Against Stunt Coordinator Joel Kramer Include One Involving 10th Grade Girl
Eliza Dushku's Former Agent & A Friend Confirm Her Sexual Assault Story On 'True Lies' Set: "Nobody Really Did Anything"
Aziz Ansari Allegations Open New Chapter in #MeToo Movement, Ansari Responds "I Took Her Words to Heart"
Arnold Schwarzenegger "Shocked" About Eliza Dushku's 'True Lies' Allegations, Calls Her "So Courageous"
'True Lies' Stuntman Joel Kramer Dropped By Talent Agency After Eliza Dushku Accused Him Of Sexual Assault
Leah Remini Hints Scientology Behind Paul Haggis Claims; Church Slams "Reprehensible Smokescreen" - Update
Latest Box Office News
- ‘Aladdin’ Review: Stage Adaptation Of Disney Classic Dazzles L.A. With A Familiar Magic Carpet Ride
- ‘Jumanji’ Keeps Offshore Crown, Nears $400M; ‘Last Jedi’ Waltzes Past ‘Beauty’ Worldwide – International…
- Golden Globes Winners 'Three Billboards' & 'Lady Bird' Cash In; 'Phantom Thread' Expands Solid – Specialty…
- ‘Jumanji’ Roars To $34M; ‘The Post’ Still The Most With $22M+; ‘The Commuter’ Punches $16M: MLK Weekend Box…
- ‘Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle’ Rumbles Past $300M Overseas; Swings Into China
- ‘It’ Balloons To $700M+ At Worldwide Box Office