Sony/Screen Gems’ critic-proof horror flick The Messengers opened as the No. 1 movie this weekend, beating out big Universal chick flick Because I Said So, starring Diane Keaton and Mandy Moore. Box office gurus calling it ‘The Moviebowl” were at first unsure which pic would be bigger this Superbowl weekend. (Because has older females who may avoid the Bowl, whereas Messengers‘ suspense formula has won past Bowl weekends.) But this wound up the 7th consecutive year that Sony has released the #1 film during Superbowl weekend. Exit surveys showed the sam raimi-produced film drew slightly more females (53%) than male (47%) while 53% of the opening wkd audience was under 21. See below for all the numbers…
Box Office: February 2nd-4th
What's Hot on Deadline
Peter Jackson & Fran Walsh Rev 'Mortal Engines'; Directing Debut For 'Hobbit' VFX Protege Christian Rivers
Latest Box Office News
- ‘Jack Reacher’ Cuffs $31.5M But ‘Mechanic’ Throws Wrench Into China – Intl Box Office
- Broadway Box Office: ‘1812’ Overtures Bode Well For ‘Great Comet’ With $1.1M Week
- ‘Madea Halloween’ Gets $28.5M Treat, ‘Jack Reacher,’ $22.8M, ‘Ouija’ Grabs $14M, ‘Joneses’ Tanks…
- Rachel Weisz Leads A Chilly ‘Plenty’ Revival At The Public Theater – Review
- 'Moonlight' & ‘Michael Moore In TrumpLand' Top 2016 Theater Averages – Specialty B.O.
- What Happened To ‘The Joneses’ At The Box Office?