Sony/Screen Gems’ critic-proof horror flick The Messengers opened as the No. 1 movie this weekend, beating out big Universal chick flick Because I Said So, starring Diane Keaton and Mandy Moore. Box office gurus calling it ‘The Moviebowl” were at first unsure which pic would be bigger this Superbowl weekend. (Because has older females who may avoid the Bowl, whereas Messengers‘ suspense formula has won past Bowl weekends.) But this wound up the 7th consecutive year that Sony has released the #1 film during Superbowl weekend. Exit surveys showed the sam raimi-produced film drew slightly more females (53%) than male (47%) while 53% of the opening wkd audience was under 21. See below for all the numbers…
Box Office: February 2nd-4th
What's Hot on Deadline
'The Good Place's Jameela Jamil Blames Porn And Music Videos For Consent Issues Following Aziz Ansari Allegations
Two More Sexual Misconduct Allegations Against Stunt Coordinator Joel Kramer Include One Involving 10th Grade Girl
Eliza Dushku's Former Agent & A Friend Confirm Her Sexual Assault Story On 'True Lies' Set: "Nobody Really Did Anything"
Aziz Ansari Allegations Open New Chapter in #MeToo Movement, Ansari Responds "I Took Her Words to Heart"
Arnold Schwarzenegger "Shocked" About Eliza Dushku's 'True Lies' Allegations, Calls Her "So Courageous"
'True Lies' Stuntman Joel Kramer Dropped By Talent Agency After Eliza Dushku Accused Him Of Sexual Assault
Leah Remini Hints Scientology Behind Paul Haggis Claims; Church Slams "Reprehensible Smokescreen" - Update
Latest Box Office News
- ‘Aladdin’ Review: Stage Adaptation Of Disney Classic Dazzles L.A. With A Familiar Magic Carpet Ride
- ‘Jumanji’ Keeps Offshore Crown, Nears $400M; ‘Last Jedi’ Waltzes Past ‘Beauty’ Worldwide – International…
- Golden Globes Winners 'Three Billboards' & 'Lady Bird' Cash In; 'Phantom Thread' Expands Solid – Specialty…
- ‘Jumanji’ Roars To $34M; ‘The Post’ Still The Most With $22M+; ‘The Commuter’ Punches $16M: MLK Weekend Box…
- ‘Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle’ Rumbles Past $300M Overseas; Swings Into China
- ‘It’ Balloons To $700M+ At Worldwide Box Office