FRIDAY AM: Fox’s new Night At The Museum starring Ben Stiller is scoring “very good” matinees today playing in 3,685 theaters, I’m told. It’s certain to be the No. 1 movie at the box office this weekend since it’s a four-quadrant pic (meaning it’s aimed at everyone). MGM’s Rocky Balboa made $3.4 mil for Thursday, a drop of -45% the day after its $6.2 mil Wed opening. Cume now is $9.6 mil. This weekend, Sly may need a lucky punch to finish #3 even though the film expands by 265 additional venues for a new theatre count of 3,017. The expected #2 is Sony holdover The Pursuit of Happyness starring Will Smith and his real-life son in 2,863 venues. Those pics will be ahead of the newcomers: Universal’s The Good Shepherd (2,218 theaters), Warner’s We Are Marshall (2,606 theaters) and Fox holdover, Eragon (3,030 theaters). Also opening this weekend is Clint Eastwood’s Oscar-buzzed Letters from Iwo Jima (Warner Bros., 5 theaters), The Painted Veil (Warner Independent, 4 theaters), No Restraint (IFC, 5 theaters) and Words Of My Perfect Teacher (Intl Film Circuit, 3 theaters).
'Museum' Matinees 'Very Good' Today; Forecast No. 1 Ben, #2 Will, #3 Sly(?)
What's Hot on Deadline
'Jason Bourne' On Way To $55M To $60M; 'Bad Moms' Reaching For $30M; 'Nerve' Could Find $15M - Friday Matinees
No Obama Bounce For DNC Day 3 Ratings As They Fall Behind RNC, 'Wayward Pines' Finale Down From 2015
Bill Maher On Hillary Clinton Nomination: "First, Lady Ghostbusters And Now This; America's On A Roll!"
Latest Box Office News
- ‘Harry Potter And The Cursed Child’ Producer Colin Callender On Gala Opening And The Future
- ‘Jason Bourne’ On Way To $55M To $60M; ‘Bad Moms’ Reaching For $30M; ‘Nerve’ Could Find $15M…
- ‘Central Intelligence’ Reaches $200M Worldwide As ‘Jason Bourne’ Moves In
- James Schamus Debuts 'Indignation'; Oscar-Winner Barbara Kopple Charts 'Miss Sharon Jones!' – Specialty B.O. Preview
- ‘Swiss Army Man’ Gets Theatrical Release In The UK
- ‘Nerve’ Box Office Takes $2.3M Thursday To Cull $6M In Three Days