Walt Disney Pictures announced today that its Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Dead Man’s Chest joined the Billion Dollar Club box office benchmark. Behind only Titanic and Lord of the Rings 3, P2 has topped the overseas box office for 9 consecutive weeks. As of Friday, P2 has grossed $415.1 million domestically and $587.5 million internationally, making it the number #1 film of the year here and overseas.
BOX OFFICE RECORDS AND STATISTICS FOR P2:
Crossed the $1 billion mark in record time (nine weeks compared to ten weeks for previous record holder, Lord of the Rings 3).
· Highest three-day opening in box-office history ($135.6 million)
· First film in box office history to pass $100 million in only two days
· Tied as fastest film in history to reach $200 million (8 days)
· Fastest film in box office history to pass $300 million (16 days)
· Passed the $305.4 million final gross of P1 (in 16 days)
· Opening day gross ($55.8 mil) highest single-day gross in b.o. history
· 51st film in Buena Vista history to pass $100 mil in gross, most of any studio
· 13th film in B.V. history to pass $200 million in gross, most of any studio
· Highest grossing film in B.V. history and 6th highest grossing film of all time
· Biggest international release of 2006.
· 6th biggest film ever released internationally.
· Most popular international release in the history of Walt Disney Studios.
· #1 overseas for nine consecutive weekends in a row.
· Longest consecutive weekend reign of any film this century.
· Biggest industry opening of All Time: Greece, Russia, Spain.
· Biggest US film of all time: Russia.
Previous: Go Johnny Go