I’m told, overseas, Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Dead Man’s Chest opened in just a handful of markets this weekend but did a phenomenal $46.6 million. Because of the World Cup Final, Disney is waiting to open P2 in all its international territories. But that’s an amazing start. Clearly this movie is translating well to foreign markets. For instance, news reports said thousands of Johnny Depp fans thronged London’s Leicester Square on July 3rd to catch a glimpse of swashbuckling Captain Jack despite the sweltering heat. (see photo) Johnny Depp, Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom spent over two hours posing for photos, signing autographs and chatting to the press to promote the new flick which hit British cinema screens on July 6. The huge crowd got into the party spirit, with many looking as though they had walked off the set of the film by sporting an array of costumes and make-up to rival those of Depp’s Sparrow. Does this mean Depp has become the world’s biggest movie star? Stay tuned.
Pirates 2 Does Phenomenal Foreign, Too!
What's Hot on Deadline
Roman Polanski On Netflix Impact On Moviegoing: "I Don't Think It's A Basic Threat For Cinema" - Cannes
Latest Box Office News
- Why ‘Pirates’ & ‘Baywatch’ Are Trudging Through Sand At The Domestic B.O. — Sat. AM Update
- ‘The Fate Of The Furious’ Expected To Cross $1B Tomorrow At Int’l Box Office
- Tony Nominee Jenn Colella Came From Away – And Landed On Broadway
- Tyler Perry To Scare Up Laughs This October Again In ‘Boo 2! A Madea Halloween’
- Deadheads High On 'Long Strange Trip'; Teresa Palmer Stars in 'Berlin Syndrome' – Specialty Box Office Preview
- Alec Baldwin Returns In ‘The Boss Baby 2’, Crawling To Theaters In 2021