I’m told, overseas, Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Dead Man’s Chest opened in just a handful of markets this weekend but did a phenomenal $46.6 million. Because of the World Cup Final, Disney is waiting to open P2 in all its international territories. But that’s an amazing start. Clearly this movie is translating well to foreign markets. For instance, news reports said thousands of Johnny Depp fans thronged London’s Leicester Square on July 3rd to catch a glimpse of swashbuckling Captain Jack despite the sweltering heat. (see photo) Johnny Depp, Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom spent over two hours posing for photos, signing autographs and chatting to the press to promote the new flick which hit British cinema screens on July 6. The huge crowd got into the party spirit, with many looking as though they had walked off the set of the film by sporting an array of costumes and make-up to rival those of Depp’s Sparrow. Does this mean Depp has become the world’s biggest movie star? Stay tuned.
Pirates 2 Does Phenomenal Foreign, Too!
What's Hot on Deadline
Venice Film Festival Sets Lido Launch For Aronofsky, Clooney, Del Toro, Payne & More As Awards Buzz Begins - Full List
James Franco & Maggie Gyllenhaal 1970s Porn HBO Series 'The Deuce': It's Not Misogyny, It's Business - TCA
Netflix 'Triple Frontier' Eyes August Start; Mark Wahlberg, Charlie Hunnam, Garrett Hedlund, Pedro Pascal In Talks
Trevor Noah Discusses Donald Trump Transgender Troop Firing With Two Army Veterans On 'The Daily Show'
Latest Box Office News
- ‘Emoji Movie’ & ‘Atomic Blonde’ Vie To Take ‘Dunkirk’ Brigade Out At Box Office
- ‘Homeland’s Mandy Patinkin Is Moscow-Bound For Brief ‘Natasha, Pierre’ Gig
- ‘Valerian’ And The City Of A Thousand Misconceptions: Who’s On The Hook?
- Blair Brown Joins Beau Willimon’s ‘Parisian Woman’ On Broadway; Bedlam Revives ‘Peter Pan’
- Broadway Box Office: Brendon Urie Kicks ‘Kinky Boots’ To $1.4M; Disney’s ‘Aladdin’ Up $207K
- Universal Hits $4B In Global Box Office For Second Time In Its History