I’m told, overseas, Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Dead Man’s Chest opened in just a handful of markets this weekend but did a phenomenal $46.6 million. Because of the World Cup Final, Disney is waiting to open P2 in all its international territories. But that’s an amazing start. Clearly this movie is translating well to foreign markets. For instance, news reports said thousands of Johnny Depp fans thronged London’s Leicester Square on July 3rd to catch a glimpse of swashbuckling Captain Jack despite the sweltering heat. (see photo) Johnny Depp, Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom spent over two hours posing for photos, signing autographs and chatting to the press to promote the new flick which hit British cinema screens on July 6. The huge crowd got into the party spirit, with many looking as though they had walked off the set of the film by sporting an array of costumes and make-up to rival those of Depp’s Sparrow. Does this mean Depp has become the world’s biggest movie star? Stay tuned.
Pirates 2 Does Phenomenal Foreign, Too!
What's Hot on Deadline
Billboard Music Awards Ratings Hit Low, 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine' Finale Rises, NBA Up With Warriors' Win
Mario Batali Under Criminal Investigation By NYPD For Sexual Assault Allegations; B&B HG Sever Ties With Chef - Update
'The Expendables 4' Muscles Up: Sylvester Stallone Action Pic & 'Rambo 5' Sell To China In Eight-Figure Co-Fi Deal
Latest Box Office News
- Broadway Box Office Steady With Prior Week, Remains 14% Ahead Of 2016-17
- ‘Scarface’ Returning To The Big Screen For 35th Anniversary
- ‘Sweeney Todd’ Sets Date When It Will Bake Its Last Off-Broadway Meat Pie
- ‘Deadpool 2’ Sets Fox Record With $176M Overseas Bow; ‘Avengers: Infinity War’ Tops $1.81B WW – International…
- 'First Reformed' Nabs Top Spot; 'Pope Francis' Mixed: Specialty Box Office
- ‘Deadpool 2’ Swinging In As Second-Best Opening For R-Rated Pic With $125M