I’m told, overseas, Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Dead Man’s Chest opened in just a handful of markets this weekend but did a phenomenal $46.6 million. Because of the World Cup Final, Disney is waiting to open P2 in all its international territories. But that’s an amazing start. Clearly this movie is translating well to foreign markets. For instance, news reports said thousands of Johnny Depp fans thronged London’s Leicester Square on July 3rd to catch a glimpse of swashbuckling Captain Jack despite the sweltering heat. (see photo) Johnny Depp, Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom spent over two hours posing for photos, signing autographs and chatting to the press to promote the new flick which hit British cinema screens on July 6. The huge crowd got into the party spirit, with many looking as though they had walked off the set of the film by sporting an array of costumes and make-up to rival those of Depp’s Sparrow. Does this mean Depp has become the world’s biggest movie star? Stay tuned.
Pirates 2 Does Phenomenal Foreign, Too!
What's Hot on Deadline
'Den Of Thieves' & '12 Strong' Draw Close To $1M On Thursday Night, But 'Jumanji' Will Win The Weekend
MoviePass Launches MoviePass Ventures: Subsidiary Will Co-Acquire Films With Distributors - Sundance
Latest Box Office News
- ‘Paddington 2’ Sets Rotten Tomatoes Record As Best-Reviewed Movie Ever
- ‘The Greatest Showman’ Sings Past Oscar Favorites, Everywhere But Here
- ‘Valerian’ Helps Propel 2017 French Film Exports After Dismal 2016: Unifrance
- John Hawkes, Octavia Spencer In 'Small Town Crime'; 'The Final Year' Recalls Obama – Specialty B.O. Preview
- ‘Den Of Thieves’ & ’12 Strong’ Draw Close To $1M On Thursday Night, But ‘Jumanji’ Will Win…
- ‘Tallulah’s Tammy Blanchard Joins Denzel Washington In ‘Iceman’ On Broadway; Bernie Williams Goes Cabaret; Michael Weller’s…