I’m told, overseas, Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Dead Man’s Chest opened in just a handful of markets this weekend but did a phenomenal $46.6 million. Because of the World Cup Final, Disney is waiting to open P2 in all its international territories. But that’s an amazing start. Clearly this movie is translating well to foreign markets. For instance, news reports said thousands of Johnny Depp fans thronged London’s Leicester Square on July 3rd to catch a glimpse of swashbuckling Captain Jack despite the sweltering heat. (see photo) Johnny Depp, Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom spent over two hours posing for photos, signing autographs and chatting to the press to promote the new flick which hit British cinema screens on July 6. The huge crowd got into the party spirit, with many looking as though they had walked off the set of the film by sporting an array of costumes and make-up to rival those of Depp’s Sparrow. Does this mean Depp has become the world’s biggest movie star? Stay tuned.
Pirates 2 Does Phenomenal Foreign, Too!
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Box Office News
- ‘Boo 2! A Madea Halloween’ Reaps $21M+ During October Dumping Ground At The B.O.
- ‘Chappaquiddick’ Jumps Out Of Thanksgiving; ‘Hostiles’ Gallops Into Awards Season
- China Box Office Poised To Hit $8.31B In 2017, Regulator Forecasts
- Review: Slimmer And Sillier, Harvey Fierstein’s ‘Torch Song’ Is Revived With Michael Urie…
- Lorenzo di Bonaventura On Moviegoing In A Streaming World: “We Still Have The Advantage Of Spectacle”
- 'The Killing Of A Sacred Deer', Todd Haynes' 'Wonderstruck' Bow This Weekend – Specialty B.O. Preview