I’m told the latest tracking for Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean 2 (aka Dead Man’s Chest) “is as big as any film in history.” Either there’s a gross error, or the Magic Kingdom has Titanic on its hands opening wide July 7th. Seriously, could it beat that box office wonder? Well, Pirates 1 earned $654 mil globally, so it’s not impossible. The buzz on P2 even before the summer started was that this was the one to beat. Because it hits the kiddie / teen / adult trifecta in terms of audience appeal. At this time when it’s rare for a film to sustain box office even two weeks out, P1 kept racking up $$$ because teen girls went gaga and kept seeing the movie over and over again for Orlando Bloom just like they did for Leo in Titanic. Bloom is smartly recast in P2. Though it was Depp who gave the bravura performance. Add Keira Knightley for some male eye candy, and the tracking makes sense. Indeed, the agencies’ motion picture meetings today were all abuzz about the tracking phenom of Pirates 2. I never thought I’d ever see iconoclastic Johnny Depp become one of the biggest box office stars in Hollywood. Just shows what long hair, eye makeup and nice jewelry can do for a guy.
Pirates of Caribbean 2 Tracking Titanic
What's Hot on Deadline
Venice Film Festival Sets Lido Launch For Aronofsky, Clooney, Del Toro, Payne & More As Awards Buzz Begins - Full List
James Franco & Maggie Gyllenhaal 1970s Porn HBO Series 'The Deuce': It's Not Misogyny, It's Business - TCA
Netflix 'Triple Frontier' Eyes August Start; Mark Wahlberg, Charlie Hunnam, Garrett Hedlund, Pedro Pascal In Talks
Trevor Noah Discusses Donald Trump Transgender Troop Firing With Two Army Veterans On 'The Daily Show'
Latest Box Office News
- ‘Emoji Movie’ & ‘Atomic Blonde’ Vie To Take ‘Dunkirk’ Brigade Out At Box Office
- ‘Homeland’s Mandy Patinkin Is Moscow-Bound For Brief ‘Natasha, Pierre’ Gig
- ‘Valerian’ And The City Of A Thousand Misconceptions: Who’s On The Hook?
- Blair Brown Joins Beau Willimon’s ‘Parisian Woman’ On Broadway; Bedlam Revives ‘Peter Pan’
- Broadway Box Office: Brendon Urie Kicks ‘Kinky Boots’ To $1.4M; Disney’s ‘Aladdin’ Up $207K
- Universal Hits $4B In Global Box Office For Second Time In Its History