I’m told the latest tracking for Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean 2 (aka Dead Man’s Chest) “is as big as any film in history.” Either there’s a gross error, or the Magic Kingdom has Titanic on its hands opening wide July 7th. Seriously, could it beat that box office wonder? Well, Pirates 1 earned $654 mil globally, so it’s not impossible. The buzz on P2 even before the summer started was that this was the one to beat. Because it hits the kiddie / teen / adult trifecta in terms of audience appeal. At this time when it’s rare for a film to sustain box office even two weeks out, P1 kept racking up $$$ because teen girls went gaga and kept seeing the movie over and over again for Orlando Bloom just like they did for Leo in Titanic. Bloom is smartly recast in P2. Though it was Depp who gave the bravura performance. Add Keira Knightley for some male eye candy, and the tracking makes sense. Indeed, the agencies’ motion picture meetings today were all abuzz about the tracking phenom of Pirates 2. I never thought I’d ever see iconoclastic Johnny Depp become one of the biggest box office stars in Hollywood. Just shows what long hair, eye makeup and nice jewelry can do for a guy.
Pirates of Caribbean 2 Tracking Titanic
What's Hot on Deadline
'Beauty And The Beast' Nears $700M WW; 'Kong' Has Mighty $72M China Bow, Tops $250M Offshore - International Box Office
'American Horror Story' At Paley Fest: Is Sarah Paulson's Supreme 'Coven' Character Returning In Season 7?
Family-Branded Films On Fire: 'Beauty And The Beast' Headed To $90M+; 'Power Rangers' Mighty With $40M+
'Westworld' Team On The Series' Super-Engaged Fan Base, Music Hints & Being Part Of The Solution - PaleyFest
Latest Box Office News
- Broadway Review: In ‘Sweat’, Trump’s Pipe Dream Deferred; ‘Dear Evan Hansen’
- ‘Beauty And The Beast’ Nears $700M WW; ‘Kong’ Has Mighty $72M China Bow, Tops $250M Offshore – International Box…
- Family-Branded Films On Fire: ‘Beauty And The Beast’ Headed To $90M+; ‘Power Rangers’ Mighty With $40M+
- How Lionsgate Re-Charged ‘Power Rangers’ & Returned It To The Big Screen
- Jazz Doc 'I Called Him Morgan' Hits Solid Note; 'Wilson' Walks Slow – Specialty B.O.
- ‘Sing’ Gives Voice To $600M At Worldwide Box Office